MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Network Experts - Advice please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am moving to Germany....and the place we're moving to offers VDSL Smile

So I am about to sign up for their 50Mb down 10Mb up service...

The router that comes with it though is wireless....and for a number of reasons (speed, security, radiation) I wish to remain cabled for all my computers at home..

Currently I have:

DESKTOP
LAPTOP
Pinnacle Soundbridge

But I am thinking about creating a proper media or at least some kind of NAS-solution...then I might have a need for other networked devices....guests coming needing internet-access....other gadgets I might get... So the basic 4port router that is also possible doesn't quite cut it....
So I was thinking along the lines:

1) Get the connection
2) Get the VDSL Modem/router that has WirelessAP (n-version if possible) and at least 2 LAN Ports
3) hook up a XXXX to the modem-router
4) hook the wired computers to the XXXX

Now my question is...what should I get. I don't pretend to be expert in networking so what am I looking at? What should I be looking for? An 8port Router? Switch? Hub?

Thanks in advance,
Kimmo
Quote:(speed, security, radiation)
Many of these issues have been resolved by the new business-class wireless routers which have an amazing range and speed (esp. in Linksys). I don't think you need to worry about radiation; there's no scientific evidence that it would damage your health if that's what your concern is, nor is there going to be any interference. Security is good enough for the wireless routers or you wouldn't expect businesses to be using them. 108mbps speed is enough, I assume, when the router is of good quality and it has a good range. Even if it's a 54mbps network card on the other end, you should be able to get a full throttle of 6.75mb / sec on a quality router / AP.

For a traditional wired network, a hub, router or switch should all do the trick. A router usually has DHCP and will make your life easier and allow you many fascinating settings in the administration area.
Get a switch and a linksys modem/portal (serves one or two cabled and wireless). Low radiation and lots of cabled connections. That's how I did it. It's perfect for me. Big Grin
let me clarify my intentions a little:

SPEED: copying GBs of data over wireless g-version is a little frustrating... n-version could do the trick...but is still rather new and I think we all know how you recognize pioneers...they are the ones with all the arrows in their backs

SECURITY: Wired lan is just much easier to secure than wireless. Not that wireless is horribly difficult these days, but still...

RADIATION: I have two little kids....two kids that will be playing in close proximity of the AP for a large part of the day, every day...that AP is also active all the time, with downloads, server-use for my development-website, internet-radio etc. I do realize that there are no studies that have proven harmful effects from WLAN, but at the same time we have to remember that wireless-stuff in our lives is still quite new...less than 10 years if we think WLAN at home....not enough time to prove one or the other. Let's just say that as a proud father of two that does have an option to relatively easily build a nice wired network....why shouldn't I? Why take the risk. I also work for a company that creates instruments that can measure this radiation among other things, and I happen to know that power output of WLAN is usually only about 10th of a normal cell-phone these days...but WLAN is usually on all the time... So since the kids are 2 and 4....(and just spent the last 24h in a hospital with my youngest one due to an epileptic fit (not caused by WLAN quite sure) I am quite sensitive about putting them into a potential risk...and that's what radiation is....your body doesn't need it....and it hasn't been around long enough at those levels to be cleared completely safe either yet.

Nobody touched here though the core of my question...perhaps I wasn't clear enough on it.

let's say I need 8 lan ports...the thing that will provide me those 8 ports is going to be connected to a DSL-modem (VDSL to be exact). What is the difference between ROUTER, SWITCH and HUB. I kinda understand that I would probably want to have that one thing running DHCP so I can dynamically add things to my network without having to have externally multiple IPs. Router says my instinct....but what about the others? Cost is a factor as well...I don't want to pay huge amounts for it. I already have a standalone AP that I could hook up if nothing else works....but still...advice please?
Kimmo Wrote:What is the difference between ROUTER, SWITCH and HUB.

Try google. Or this:
http://ask-leo.com/whats_the_difference_...outer.html

You may go for a plain old hub, but in 2008 everyone buys routers - they simply are smarter and offer your more options. It's often difficult to replicate all that you want, that a router offers, and often forces you to do all those tasks from a computer that you make server of the network (perhaps with windows internet connection sharing). It gets very complicated then.

A router will offer you more flexibility. Plus, they're are affordable nowadays.
Router....routes traffic packets...normally includes built in firmware you can connect to a built in control panel.

Switch...connection equipment only does not include software to route traffic.

HUB...can be either router or switch...basically it's where you connect to another device.

N isn't that new really..it's just recently more affordable. The technology used in these devices isn't extremely different. Imagine memory. Yes it's 100x faster than it was 10 years ago but reality is that the technology is basically the same.

Security..I agree. Wireless is less than optimal but it's part of every network now. Better to have it ready in case of need imho. I have my turned off from the switch.

I have 5 computers in my house....because these damn routers only have 4 ports I am forced to use 2 devices. Right now I have 2 routers...one is wireless and the other has voip connections. For me...I need an 8-port wireless with 2 voip ports..but guess what..they don't exist. Home network hardware is limited for the most part. I have a smart house..it's totally wired from head to toe with cat5e cabling.

I still recommend you get the device I pointed you toward..and also a switch...they are cheap enough and VERY easy to use..just connect it to a port on the router.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6833127082 $38 right now...great deal imho and good reviews.

btw..I have 4 kids in the house too.
Jesse tells no lies. Beautiful product and it is a top-notch router for the price. Wink

I'd suggest hooking a switch up to that as you can buy one with up to 164 connections, but I doubt you'll be needing as much as that.
labrocca Wrote:Router....routes traffic packets...normally includes built in firmware you can connect to a built in control panel.

Switch...connection equipment only does not include software to route traffic.

HUB...can be either router or switch...basically it's where you connect to another device.
A router can be used for more than 'routing packets'....a lot of people use it just simply as a software firewall....it is also good for blocking broadcasts, ICMP pings among other things...It also bridges two networks together which is why you rarely see 'bridges' anymore.

Switches can have routing capabilities (layer 3 switches), but they're thousands of dollars and have no use in a home environment unless you have a large enough pipe coming into your home to run a sufficient network where you dump serious money into your home LAN. Switches replaced hubs because they have MAC address tables built into their cache whereas a hub doesn't.

Hubs are just repeaters..nothing more, nothing less....
Quote:HUB...can be either router or switch...basically it's where you connect to another device.
Hubs are neither a router or a switch and can't be 1 either...hubs are rare to find as they cause too much of an overheard compared to switches these days and since the price of a 5-port switch is about $15 now, you won't find hubs in stores anymore.

As someone said..you won't find a 'home' router with more than 4 LAN ports. Pick up a nicely reviewed router (I prefer Linksys as it has never failed me and I've done a bit of programming on Cisco *which owns Linksys* routers and switches which is the most widely used name in networking environments) and go from there......you're going to need to buy a switch to have more than 4 'usuable' internet ports....you would simply run a wire from the switch to the router...as far as access points, you can buy 2 routers and turn 1 into an AP...most sales people will sell you a router then an access point/range extender which can cost anywhere from $150-200 whereas 2 routers may only cost you $100-$150 depending on the standard you use. A wireless network can be just as efficient as a wired network if the APs are positioned properly without a lot of interference..also keep it mind, the type of material used to build your house can cause a lot of signal bounce and degradation.

Security is always a concern, but with proper setup you can be pretty secure.

Wireless security rules of thumb:
Rename the SSID;
Turn off the SSID Broadcast (once all devices that are wireless within your LAN connect to internet);
Change the scope of IP addresses your LAN uses;
MAC address filtering;
WPA2 security (if all of your devices can support WPA2) if not, use WPA;
might be missing a few, but that's the general rules of thumb

Router security:
Turn on the router firewall (usually SPI and maybe some other lite functions);
Change the default router password;
Disallow wireless admin access;
Login to the router API through https versus http

^^^Hope this all helps.