MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: No permission when Chmodding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My host does not allow chmodding

So when i try to Chmod it says :
"550 Could not change perms on functions_forumlist.php: No such file or directory"

Info i found from my host :

"File Permissions with FTP

You cannot use chmod with StreamlineNets' FTP cluster. You should not need to do this however as permissions are set automatically so that your Web pages display correctly, your CGIs execute properly, and the files in your domain cannot be read by another domain.

Files uploaded under cgi-bin ( Where my forum is located )
are set to rwx------, or Octal mode 700. This is the correct secure mode for suEXEC to run CGIs. New directories created under cgi-bin are set to rwx-----x, or Octal mode 701. The 'x' for Others allows Apache to traverse the directory hierarchy to move to a CGI file (and Note: check for .htaccess files along the way), before invoking it via suEXEC.

Note: Please note that using chmod 777, will make it possible for users to write files to your directory and thus make your website vulnerable. You should avoid using this command as far as possible. Actinic users who want to make their databases accessible should use chmod 755."

Is there any security dangers for my forums as i can't chmod any files then ?
Try the installer. Depending on how they have set up your file permissions, you may not need to CHMOD anything.
Sorry, i don't know what you mean when saying that i should try the installer, which installer and what should i do with it ?
Have you tried installing MyBB? I think that is what he means.