MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do Install GD for CAPTCHA?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I need to use CAPTCHA for new registrations, but the image is terrible and impossible to read. I'm assuming this is because I don't have GD installed, but I have no idea what GD is or how to install it. I really need to get CAPTCHA going, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dorian
What OS is your server running? I'm assuming you have root access correct?
not sure about the server OS, but i use bravenet.com for hosting. i do have access to the root folder, and i just uploaded the captcah images and fonts, but it still doesn't seem to be working. i'm trying to follow these instructions (http://www.captchacreator.com/v-howtoinstall.html), but since the registration form already has the captcha image there, i'm assuming steps 2 and 3 don't apply to me.
In order to install GD you need root access to your server (meaning the full admin rights to the whole server, not just your website). To make sure GD isn't installed go to: Admin CP > Maintenance > View PHP Info and check for "GD Support enabled"
ah, it says enabled with freetype. but the image looks terrible. here is my reg page if you don't mind taking a look: http://baytownbb.com/member.php
Ouch! Can you copy and paste the whole GD block in "View PHP Info"?
GD Support enabled
GD Version bundled (2.0.34 compatible)
FreeType Support enabled
FreeType Linkage with freetype
FreeType Version 2.1.9
GIF Read Support enabled
GIF Create Support enabled
JPG Support enabled
PNG Support enabled
WBMP Support enabled
XBM Support enabled

i haven't actually done anything other than turn on captcha in admin cp's "general config". is there something else i need to do?
Not really, the only difference I'm seeing in your GD configuration compared to mine is the FreeType Version (yours is 2.1.9 and mine is 2.2.1). I can't think of what the problem could be. I would check out this thread and try that out.
i'll give that a try. thanks for your help.
wait, he says to "replace" your old captcha.php file in the root, but i don't even have a captcha.php in my root. how did that happen? and i guess that's the problem....
Pages: 1 2