MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Some suggestions for MyBB 1.2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had some cool ideas, don't know what you think about it, but they may be worth considering for MyBB 1.2:

Merge double posts
This is a feature I suggested over half a year ago for IPB. IPB has only recently incorporated this feature into their BB and I am happy with that as I hope many will follow. OK, we all know that some users don't know where to find the edit button. This feature makes sure that if a user posts in the same topic within X seconds/minutes, the post does not get added after the previous post, but rather to the previous post. Here's an example:

Old situation:

Ignorant_user posts a reply to this topic.

--------- posted at 12:23 am by Ignorant_user---------
Wow! I really like this idea!
------------------------------------------------------------------

Ignorant_user wants to say something else, but does not know how to edit his message. So, Ignorant_user posts another message. This message gets placed right after the original message.

--------- posted at 12:24 am by Ignorant_user ---------
What do you think, Chris?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

New situation:

Ignorant_user posts a reply to this topic.

Ignorant_user wants to say something else, but does not know how to edit his message. So, Ignorant_user posts another message. The system detects that Ignorant_user has already posted a reply to this topic the previous minute. So, the system adds the contents of this new reply to the previous reply:

What do you think, Chris?

Automatically close thread after X days
Simple, as the title states. Have an option for admins to specify that threads automatically close after X days. This option could be per forum (useful for things like contest-forums, whereby after a certain date a new contest will be started) or per topic. Also, add the ability to have an automated reply to the topic when it is closed. For a contest-based forum, for example, this could be "This contest is now closed. View the newer contest in this forum and reply there from now on."

Multiquote
I think we all know what this is. If you don't, check out IPB and press some quote buttons (when logged in and do NOT click the reply button). Basically, it allows you to quote multiple posts. Only, we should perhaps name it differently.

Quick edit using AJAX
This one's interesting. I'll divide it up into two types of quick edit: topic title quick edit and post quick edit.

Topic title quick edit can be seen in a video made by the IPB developer (although it wasn't his idea). I have made this myself a while ago and it is real easy to implement, so I volunteer to implement this as well Wink Look at this movie:
http://www.invisionpower.com/prereleased...nline2.mov

Post quick edit is even better than topic quick edit. Look at this movie:
http://forums.invisionpower.com/upmattbl...x-post.mov

Quick topic
The same as "quick reply", only for topics! Can be seen at MyTopix: http://support.jaia-interactive.com/. Register an account, click on a forum and you see the "Qwik topic" button. Click it and it allows you to add a topic just like you would add a reply. This would of course need the appropriate on/off settings in the ACP.
Lol. There is 100's of suggestions that people have posted that probably wont make it past mod status. If we did implement them, myBB would be over 10mb Toungue

Anyway, MyBB 1.2 already has a feature list set. I can't say too much but it includes updating a few of the older pages of myBB to keep up to date, a few highly requested features (1 is listed as official, 3 are on the table) and some redesigning of certain parts.

Rest assured, if the features in your post will compete with IPB and vB or if they are requested a lot then they will probably be added in a future version.
Perhaps I should have made a different topic title! It's just some suggestions that I found it worth mentioning Smile And especially the "quick topic" is very competing - both IPB and vB don't have it and I am sure many users will love it.
when will be mybb 1.2 released?
Automatically close thread after X days
Simple, as the title states. Have an option for admins to specify that threads automatically close after X days. This option could be per forum (useful for things like contest-forums, whereby after a certain date a new contest will be started) or per topic. Also, add the ability to have an automated reply to the topic when it is closed. For a contest-based forum, for example, this could be "This contest is now closed. View the newer contest in this forum and reply there from now on."

^IPB has this and its a good feature to have Smile

skorpion Wrote:when will be mybb 1.2 released?

when its good and ready and when Chris Boulton and the team decides as such.
squall_leonhart69r Wrote:
skorpion Wrote:when will be mybb 1.2 released?

when its good and ready and when Chris Boulton and the team decides as such.
There's talk of sometime in June, but nobody is completely sure when. As squall_leonhart69r said, It's up to the MyBB Team.