MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: RSS to Posts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings,

I am having problem with RSS To Posts, it is posting a single news 3 times (3 threads).

Kindly help me out in this matter.
I don't think that is the mod doing that. I have the occasional one that hiccups occasionally and sends multiples. I think it is the source.
Is the anyway the code could check for the title of existing posts ? I have a few of these running and at times one post seems to get repeated over and over for days till I delete the feed and put it back in a few days later.

I think if it stored say the last 3 post titles and then did a compare against that list with the new title coming it that would work. If the title is the same it just drops the posting.
It might be that the original post is edited or updated. This makes a new feed and so you have, for what you think, the same feeds. You can check it with a RSS program installed on your computer having the same feeds.
i ran into this issue as well. the problem is likely that the thread title that RSS2Post creates is shorter than the title of the RSS feed so no match is found. You need to edit the plugin so that the check for existing posts is limited to the field size of the thread title in the xxxx_threads table.

edit: by 'create' i mean what is stored in the threads table as the thread title. RSS2Post will generate a thread title, but does not care about its length. Once inserted into the table, it can be truncated.
This is now a big problem for me, I'm now having to look for duplicate posts each day as I have 30 or more news feeds.

I don't think it's a feed update problem because only one post replicates over and over. The strange thing is over a few days one single post can replicate 10-20 times and then when I delete all of them is one move the post is posted again right away seemly with the rsstopost. So I'm thinking could the Cache have something to do with it ?
if you look at the title of the feed that is getting duplicated and compare the thread title vs the actual feed title, i bet that you will see they are different lengths. the rss2post is likely saving the full title into the fixed width title field, thus its getting truncated

example:

RSS feed:
"This is the original RSS feed title that RSS2Post pulls from the internet."

Whats in xxx_threads table
"This is the original RSS feed title that RSS2Post pulls from the inter"

this is what gets saved into the threads table, and thus RSS2Post can not find the thread and thinks it is new and it gets duplicated
Well I see the logic in that but I don't see the logic in what it's doing here;

The real title from the feed is this;
"Bruce rejects £5m Kirkland talk"

What it keeps pulling is is;
"Bruce rejects"

So do you think it see the pound sign and can't parse ? that would be an ongoing problem.
it is possible that the pound symbol is causing the issue
Well I edit one of the posts to make the title the same as the one in the feed but still they keep being added.