MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: paid subscriptions for ad-free forums?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
has anyone successfully implemented this type of site? is there any easy way to do this?

thanks
Are you saying everybody on the site has to pay for a subscription to use the forum?

And are you asking on a technical (like what plugin to use) or an administrative (how to execute said plan) standpoint?
I think he's saying that if users don't want to see ads, they pay a subscription? I haven't heard of this though.
judel Wrote:I think he's saying that if users don't want to see ads, they pay a subscription? I haven't heard of this though.

Ya, that's what I was thinking too. But if your ads aren't that intrusive most people won't care plus with add-ons like ad block plus it most peoples eyes it's a waste of money.

But if that's really what you want just make a second theme exactly the same without the ad code and make it so only the people who subscribe can use it.
I have done this before and I am doing it now.

My IPN subscription is exactly a way to do such a thing...that with my Inline Ads which has group permissions for inline ad display.

I have a subscription group at hackforums.net as well as mybbcentral.com.

You can see benefits I have setup for my own subscribers here:

http://www.mybbcentral.com/subscribe.php

People normally subscribe to help support a site but certainly you can provide enough benefits that people would be enticed to join. You can offer downloads, private forum access, or maybe entry to special forum areas like the arcade. I also have contests and giveaways that are only available to subscribers at certain sites.

I used to own a phpbb site that had 400 paid subscribers. At $5 a pop each year it became solid residual income.
thanks for the feedback, everyone! i was thinking about offering a similar subscription to what labrocca mentioned. i don't think my site is large enough quite yet to make the switch but after i get at least twice as many daily visitors, i'll be looking into this.