MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is there a difference between a "Mod" and a "Plugin" ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is there a difference between a "Mod" and a "Plugin" ?
Self-explanatory!

Modification is modifying the code to do something or added additional functionality.
Plug-in is an extra piece of software that adds feature to a an application. As the name suggests, you just plug it into the main application, instead of directly modifying the main application.
Yes, a modification usually refers to a manual file edit, of a source file, such as MyBB's.

Where a plugin is a file that "hooks" onto the code (usually not requiring file edits), to provide features and can be simply enabled and disabled through an interface, instead of having to revert code changes manually.
Another question
The plug in just modifies the templates so that a function that is already built in can be used but the mod inserts something into sql and through functions it adds what is needed automatically to run the script, right?
A mod doesn't necessarily insert anything into the sql. It can just be a simple php command that makes the forum itself act different.
Plugin bester than mod

Because?
Mod: need edit source (not easy for new user, when upgared just editing)
Plugin: copy to plugins dicrectory, then active it in ACP only (fast, easy)
killed Wrote:Plugin bester than mod

Because?
Mod: need edit source (not easy for new user, when upgared just editing)
Plugin: copy to plugins dicrectory, then active it in ACP only (fast, easy)

+ 1 for plugins Big Grin
I disagree, with Plugins we're only limited to where the Developers say we can plug in code, but Code Mods can be placed anywhere in the entire system, even in places where plugin hooks are not possible.

The Plugin System concept is awesome and is usually all you need, but it doesn't cover everything.
Ryan Ashbrook Wrote:I disagree, with Plugins we're only limited to where the Developers say we can plug in code
Yeap... you right... but most of MyBB users don't know how (or maybe considering to hard) to make changes in special in files.
I see a lot of people which make changes in files and after that said: "I made changes to x file and now I receive errors" and this is because they don't have experience (and most of them use notepad editor).

So... for a simple (or a new) user, plug-in system is better, but for a developer Mods are more powerful.
IMHO:
Mods: Good for those who know how.
Plugins: Good for everyone, in general. Why? Because we can all use them, and they're easy and fast.
Pages: 1 2