MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Message length hard limit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I´ve posted a long message in my forum (MyBB 1.2.13). In preview, I see message complete, but it gets truncated when published. I edit it, (fast edit) and seems ok, but I refresh the thread and again is truncated.

Admin CP has 0 as maximum message size.

Is there a hard limit for messages? If yes, how can I see how much can I publish?

Thanks
Well..it could be a mysql limit.
Bithunter Wrote:I´ve posted a long message in my forum (MyBB 1.2.13). In preview, I see message complete, but it gets truncated when published. I edit it, (fast edit) and seems ok, but I refresh the thread and again is truncated.

Is there a hard limit for messages? If yes, how can I see how much can I publish?

Thanks
You can try to put 1 instead 0, in AdminCP-->Board Settings (change)-->Posting (Minimum Message Length)
Maybe will work.
mybbromania Wrote:
Bithunter Wrote:I´ve posted a long message in my forum (MyBB 1.2.13). In preview, I see message complete, but it gets truncated when published. I edit it, (fast edit) and seems ok, but I refresh the thread and again is truncated.

Thanks
You can try to put 1 instead 0, in AdminCP-->Board Settings (change)-->Posting (Minimum Message Length)
Maybe will work.

I´ll try it ... but I was hoping a more authoritative answer Wink There is, or there isnt, a hard limit?
The hard limit (by default) is 65,535 characters. This is the maximum length a MySQL "TEXT" column can hold. If you find you need to extend beyond this, you can change the mybb_posts messages column to a MEDIUMTEXT or LONGTEXT type which gives you a maximum of 16,777,215 and 4,294,967,295 characters respectively. I'd say effectively the maximum of the LONGTEXT column is the hardest limit you can hit (of course you can't forget the size of your hard drive is the other hard limit).

As for posting, please check your PHP configuration, as sometimes PHP settings and modules may limit form length for security.
DennisTT Wrote:The hard limit (by default) is 65,535 characters. This is the maximum length a MySQL "TEXT" column can hold. If you find you need to extend beyond this, you can change the mybb_posts messages column to a MEDIUMTEXT or LONGTEXT type which gives you a maximum of 16,777,215 and 4,294,967,295 characters respectively. I'd say effectively the maximum of the LONGTEXT column is the hardest limit you can hit (of course you can't forget the size of your hard drive is the other hard limit).

As for posting, please check your PHP configuration, as sometimes PHP settings and modules may limit form length for security.

Thanks Dennis. Shouldn't MyBB form allow only what will fit in that text field? (Seems form allows any size, but it doesnt save it)
^ You could change the column type to something like LONGTEXT and it should work.

Since you said all the text gets displayed when you edit it, however, means that it's probably storing all the text, which is why I'm a little dubious as to whether it actually is an issue on the MySQL side, or an issue with your browser...
With pure HTML there's no way to limit the number of characters entered in a <textarea>.
DennisTT Wrote:With pure HTML there's no way to limit the number of characters entered in a <textarea>.

Do you know if there is any plans to include some WYSIWYG editor or at least some Javascript lenght checker?