MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My tech support forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey, this is my tech support forum. Does anyone have any suggestions/comments? It is a work in progress Smile.

www.onlineteksupport.com
nice set up and theme.

I would suggest adding a paging system to your portal.

Heres a great tutorial:

http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=54
Thank you for that. I have changed the amount of announcements to show to 3 and added that paging system.
btw how did you put two sideboxes on your portal?
incadudeF Wrote:btw how did you put two sideboxes on your portal?

The advanced stats box on the side is a plugin. (shows on the left).
To put that and the search on the right i went into Admin CP > Templates > Template > Expand > Portal and edited it.

Heres my code:
<html>
<head>
<title>{$mybb->settings['bbname']}</title>
{$headerinclude}
</head>
<body>
{$header}
<table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="{$theme['tablespace']}" border="0" align="center">
<tr><td valign="top" width="200">
{$welcome}
{$pms}
<!-- SCP_1_0 -->
{$stats}
{$whosonline}
Listed on: <a href="http://www.dmegs.com">Blog Directory</a>
</td>
<td>&nbsp;</td>
<td valign="top">
{$announcements}
{$multipage}
</td>
<td valign="top">
{$search}
{$latestthreads}
<!-- ASOIP_2_0_P -->

after the announcements ({$announcements}), I added
<td valign="top">
{$search}
{$latestthreads}
<!-- ASOIP_2_0_P -->

which is everything on the right side.
that was easy. thanks
how come my right side is so small?

http://unreal-station.com
I would seriously consider looking at other themes that work well with ALL browsers especially IE. I know SOME themers have a hard time with this HERE but most people STILL DO USE IE and not FF. A number of themes here ( for now till i start getting some done up released ) work great in FF but look horrible in IE especially the rounded corner themes.

Take your mouse icons on the main index page for the forums. On FF it looks good but with IE it looks all messed up.
If this is a tech support forum I would expect to see some things relating more to tech support on the forums, such as spyware / virus removal help, operating system help, etc. Right now it looks like you have computer chat but nothing that screams "we're here to help". The Operating Systems section, for instance, doesn't say anywhere "Tech Support" or "Post your problem here" so it is not clear if those are for support or for chat. Also, why is the "Online Tek Support" section contain nothing related to tech support. If I were you I would have my help sections under this banner, instead of separate ones, so people know they are for support. If you want to offer tech support you need to make it clear you are offering tech support.

Just my thoughts.
BMR777
Thanks for those comments.

HarryWx:
We have decided that the forums aren't to bad in IE. We decided that we will keep the theme, but display a message to all IE users saying that it looks best in FF. Again, thank you for the suggestion.

BMR777:
We are discussing your thoughts. Thanks and I'll post back here with updates.

Of course, more criticism/suggestions are welcome.
Pages: 1 2