MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: To the MyBB Community....Would you ever...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Would you ever consider purchasing one or more MyBB Themes or subscribing to a MyBB Theme "Club" which provided access to a number of MyBB Themes and a license to install those across multiple domains/installations if such an option was available?

I ask this as we've already released 2 themes to the MyBB community absolutely free of charge, however, we have multiple themes available which we've yet to release and they are more along the lines of "premium" themes.

We're more so looking for input and feedback from the MyBB community.

Due to the nature of the community here at MyBB, I don't want to discuss pricing directly, however, if you feel that such a service would be valuable, what would you also price such a service at?

I welcome all feedback, positive and negative, however, let's please keep the thread clean.
lol....

Maybe you can read this. I think it has both views expressed well about Mybb and paid services.

http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=31723

As some might note...this "trend" is going to occur no matter what mybb supporters think of it. Some don't like to pay other don't mind and some even prefer paid services.

As mybb grows as a software it's inevitable that things will move toward paid services. Whether it's for templates or plugins or simply better support. It's going to happen.

btw Airborne...I am sending you a PM about your project.
Well, I'd release them as premium themes, if they are worth the honor. I have to say, that Labrocca's new policy was a good idea, but I'd like to see more benefit for the author of a theme or plugin, more than money I suppose. And not many users have money to spare, first of all. I'd expect the majority of the users here to be weary of paid themes, but you never know.

If I priced a (supposed) premium-worthy template, for MyBB, it would be anywhere from $30-80, I suppose.
I just sent him a proposal. Let's see if he has interest. ahero don't you think that if Mybb Central had some of his themes available for download exclusively at Mybb Central that it would value add to my subscription service? I am hoping to attract authors of both plugins and themes to Mybb Central. I am willing to pay cash up front for good work. I already give Lex a percentage for his invaluable contributions not only to releases but support as well.
labrocca Wrote:lol....

Maybe you can read this. I think it has both views expressed well about Mybb and paid services.

http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=31723

As some might note...this "trend" is going to occur no matter what mybb supporters think of it. Some don't like to pay other don't mind and some even prefer paid services.

As mybb grows as a software it's inevitable that things will move toward paid services. Whether it's for templates or plugins or simply better support. It's going to happen.

btw Airborne...I am sending you a PM about your project.

You keep thinking that way. Gonne be very funny when newer and BETTER mod's starts showing up that is FREE. Oh and TRUST me they will. I will see to that myself. Wink

Kinda funny you say what you do when it was just you and your buds that were the ONLY ones who voted in favor of it. YEAH i saw the poll results of who voted for what.

Quote:Voted Yes
an1mal, bk2070, Das Tier, judel, Keith W, KuJoe, labrocca, LeX- 8 19.51%

ANYMORE questions?

ALL others who are viewing this you had BETTER get your say in because as you can clearly see mr greed here wants to turn this into a paid service. If you all dont want to happen here as happend over at IPB i HIGHLY suggest you speak now. Time for all of us to ban together and rid this community of those who wanna ruin it for all that have no other intrest here except to make a buck off of us all. All you have to do is say NO and stay away from the pay sites like labs and if your registered at one that went paid like his then have them terminate your account to show your support for free.
REMEMBER i am not talking about sites that have free and paid services such as audentio. They are cool in my book as they didnt mislead anyone when they came onto the scene and are not trying to turn this into a only pay service like this clown is. Plus they still do release free work to the community here. Wink

Now as far as the topic starters question goes. That would be cool as long as support is kept for current works ( If you have any ) that was released as free. Basically just dont try and pull what lab did. Thats sneaky and very underhanded and not to mention i dont like what he is trying to do to this community and why i dissagree so strongly with him. If you think you are that talented and you can make a few extra bucks then go for it. I can do my own themes and so i wont need to pay. IF however i didnt know how and saw a theme that i felt was worthy then i probably would. Do know ahead of time that i suspect the theming here is probably gonna ramp up big time once 1.4 is out. Heck i'll admit i have plans to start releasing some themes. Big Grin

Personally i dont think it is wise to be doing this yet as mybb is still a pretty small community. All of this talk of paid stuff i fear may chase off new people and thus stunt the growth here. In either case good luck with it if thats what you wish to do. Smile
This is getting weird again

I agree with Harry.... SMF has a huge number of plugin and theme makers and just a little portion is "paid content", like Bloc´s themes in tinyportal.net - "Bloc" is a SMF theme developer like Audentio´s in Mybb Community so you know there are the best works in his hands

@AirborneFive if you release some extra-quality theme for free and others for Themeclubs only I think it´s a great idea. "Paid only" themes I dont think would be that great, as audentio.com and mybbthemes.8ez.com make great themes for free already.

@Labrocca - a new Theme is a thing I would glad to pay some bucks if has an extreme quality... but 6 months installed plugins turning paid without a free "lite" alternative it´s like a "kidnapping" to mybb plugin free mods
Hmm if you want to get some $$ for your hardwork, then go ahead charging it.

Or...

you want get the sense of satisfaction to get many "Thanks alot!" and see everyone using your free theme because it is really nice.
Quote:You keep thinking that way. Gonne be very funny when newer and BETTER mod's starts showing up that is FREE. Oh and TRUST me they will. I will see to that myself.

And what makes you think I am against that? I use others mybb plugins as well. The better the plugins the better for me. I have more mybb sites than anyone else that I know of. I welcome more more theme and plugins authors with open arms. I help them as much as I can too.

Not sure where you get all this attitude from but it's not very kind. You're are turning this into something personal and it's not.

Quote:@Labrocca - a new Theme is a thing I would glad to pay some bucks if has an extreme quality... but 6 months installed plugins turning paid without a free "lite" alternative it´s like a "kidnapping" to mybb plugin free mods

Almost all plugins will need to be updated for 1.4 anyways. So lite versions or not...they are going to stop working. I will probably place them up at Webmaster Forums biz for free as well as outdated versions which you might consider "lite". I prefer not to waste my time making 2 plugins one with more features than the other..seems a waste of effort.

Quote:Kinda funny you say what you do when it was just you and your buds that were the ONLY ones who voted in favor of it. YEAH i saw the poll results of who voted for what.

Doesn't matter if only 1% voted for it...I didn't ask for the vote nor do I need it. As I said before...this is a decision you nor anyone else for that matter can change. I would rather never release any of my plugins than to succumb to being a free slave to others. I was under no obligation to release them for free but I did. Now I ask for something in return and imho...Mybb Central is doing better than ever. We had 15 signups yesterday alone.

http://www.mybbcentral.com/showteam.php

Nearly 25 signups already and more almost daily. I just sent mybb $20 for their share of the May revenue. Lex also recieved a small payment. If you don't want to support my idea that's very acceptable but please don't turn this into a personal war.

Quote: They are cool in my book as they didnt mislead anyone when they came onto the scene and are not trying to turn this into a only pay service like this clown is.

Mislead? How? I never stated my plugins would forever be free. As a matter of fact as far back as a year ago I mentioned pricing some of them. If you are calling me a clown..I really don't appreciate that.

Quote:Plus they still do release free work to the community here.

And I just released the Fixed version of Skunk Medals at Webmaster Forums. Why not check my posts from the past 2 weeks as well. I have helped a pile of new mybb users. As a matter of fact I sent Tikitiki a PM that fixed 3 bugs in the merge system. How did I find these bugs? Well a client PAID me to fix his and I took what I found and passed it to Tikitiki. So you can thank a paying client for that fix. Exactly how I said mybb will benefit from paid services.

Quote: If you think you are that talented and you can make a few extra bucks then go for it. I can do my own themes and so i wont need to pay.

So you give this guy the OK to charge but I am a greedy clown for it? Seems that since you can make your own themes for free that doesn't upset you. Can I assume you are unable to make your own plugins and that's why this bothers you so much.

Hey you want to dislike and disagree with what I am doing I can 100% respect that. However calling me names just seems immature and childish. I am pretty sure I could report your post and have it removed but I would rather others see your behavior. It lowers your credibility imho.

Thanks for reading.
labrocca Wrote:
Quote:You keep thinking that way. Gonne be very funny when newer and BETTER mod's starts showing up that is FREE. Oh and TRUST me they will. I will see to that myself.

And what makes you think I am against that? I use others mybb plugins as well. The better the plugins the better for me. I have more mybb sites than anyone else that I know of. I welcome more more theme and plugins authors with open arms. I help them as much as I can too.

Not sure where you get all this attitude from but it's not very kind. You're are turning this into something personal and it's not.

Quote:@Labrocca - a new Theme is a thing I would glad to pay some bucks if has an extreme quality... but 6 months installed plugins turning paid without a free "lite" alternative it´s like a "kidnapping" to mybb plugin free mods

Almost all plugins will need to be updated for 1.4 anyways. So lite versions or not...they are going to stop working. I will probably place them up at Webmaster Forums biz for free as well as outdated versions which you might consider "lite". I prefer not to waste my time making 2 plugins one with more features than the other..seems a waste of effort.

Quote:Kinda funny you say what you do when it was just you and your buds that were the ONLY ones who voted in favor of it. YEAH i saw the poll results of who voted for what.

Doesn't matter if only 1% voted for it...I didn't ask for the vote nor do I need it. As I said before...this is a decision you nor anyone else for that matter can change. I would rather never release any of my plugins than to succumb to being a free slave to others. I was under no obligation to release them for free but I did. Now I ask for something in return and imho...Mybb Central is doing better than ever. We had 15 signups yesterday alone.

http://www.mybbcentral.com/showteam.php

Nearly 25 signups already and more almost daily. I just sent mybb $20 for their share of the May revenue. Lex also recieved a small payment. If you don't want to support my idea that's very acceptable but please don't turn this into a personal war.

Quote: They are cool in my book as they didnt mislead anyone when they came onto the scene and are not trying to turn this into a only pay service like this clown is.

Mislead? How? I never stated my plugins would forever be free. As a matter of fact as far back as a year ago I mentioned pricing some of them. If you are calling me a clown..I really don't appreciate that.

Quote:Plus they still do release free work to the community here.

And I just released the Fixed version of Skunk Medals at Webmaster Forums. Why not check my posts from the past 2 weeks as well. I have helped a pile of new mybb users. As a matter of fact I sent Tikitiki a PM that fixed 3 bugs in the merge system. How did I find these bugs? Well a client PAID me to fix his and I took what I found and passed it to Tikitiki. So you can thank a paying client for that fix. Exactly how I said mybb will benefit from paid services.

Quote: If you think you are that talented and you can make a few extra bucks then go for it. I can do my own themes and so i wont need to pay.

So you give this guy the OK to charge but I am a greedy clown for it? Seems that since you can make your own themes for free that doesn't upset you. Can I assume you are unable to make your own plugins and that's why this bothers you so much.

Hey you want to dislike and disagree with what I am doing I can 100% respect that. However calling me names just seems immature and childish. I am pretty sure I could report your post and have it removed but I would rather others see your behavior. It lowers your credibility imho.

Thanks for reading.

WRONG. He didnt come here and release a bunch of stuff and then turn around and pull it and make it paid like you did. Nor is he constantly badgering for everything to go paid like your doing. Oh and yes i can do my own plugins. I have already as well fixed several broke ones here ( Online today for one ) because of them being outdated and if i cant get ahold of the persons who done them i will redo them myself when 1.4 comes out. Oh and YES they will be FREE.

Kinda funny how your trying to make me out to be the bad guy when it is YOU who is trying to reach into everyones pocket here and not me. Yeah i called you a clown but your first response which was based on ALOT of assumption on your part and was not entirly true and thus i felt you deserved it. Not to mention your rotten attitude towards this community and everyone who has dissagreed with you by not agreeing to making the plugins all paid. You have a very cockey attitude as well that stinks. Everything is about YOU and no matter what anyone says they are wrong and thats BS. Whats worse is the lengths you have gone to make you seem like a stand up guy by going as far as to get the developers and Chris to say what we ALL ALREADY knew which is that it is ok to make your plugins paid. No you had them say it so your argument for them could seem like it held a little more water. Not sure of who you think your kidding around here but if you think it is me you had better think again. I have dealt with alot worse then you. And you wonder why i act like i am towards you? May help that if JUST ONCE you didnt come back with some wise reponse acting like everyone else is the bad guy and that your all of this and that and you have this and that. Thus when you come back down to earth maybe then we can have a more pleasent discussion.

In either case my point stands about who voted for what. Who in there right mind wouldnt expect there friends to vote for what they want? AGAIN the MAJORITY ( Do you know what MAJORITY MEANS? ) said they are not intrested.

And who cares how many sites you have or sign ups? I notice you LOVE to brag. Nice attitude and you wanna talk about mine? Again as said above you wanna come back with a better attitude maybe then we can have a more pleasent convo about this.
Thanks for the conversation Harry but I am no longer going to respond to you. And I am going to report your name calling and uncivil behavior. I really don't appreciate the personal attacks on my character.

I wish mybb had a post ignore feature.
Pages: 1 2 3 4