MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Building a better MyBB forum host
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello All,

Many of you are probably aware that I run the sites webringamerica.com and freemybb.com, which provide free MyBB forum hosting using my custom built MyBB Multiforums Script.

I also notice that a lot of you use or have used createmybb.com to host your forum in the past.

Basically, with MyBB 1.4's release coming ever closer, I want to know what you as a community want or need out of a free MyBB forum host using a Multiforums script. I find it sad that MyBB is unlike PHPBB and SMF in that there are very few sites available to create instant forums for users. I also truly believe that MyBB isn't as popular as PHPBB or SMF BECAUSE there are not many free MyBB forum hosts. Someone who is new to forums may be intimidated by installing MyBB themselves on a server, but anyone can fill out a signup form.

So, here's what I would like to know:

What can I (and other free MyBB forum hosts) do to make the user experience for people on our hosts the best experience possible?

What features do you want to see in a free MyBB forum host such as WebringAmerica or CreateMyBB?

Any other comments, advise or suggestions?

Your comments are important to me as I help to ramp up my site for the release of MyBB 1.4. They may also help other current or future MyBB forum hosts. I know that when I host MyBB not only do I represent my site, but I also represent everything that is MyBB, so I want to do the best I can to make users love this great software. Smile

BMR777
Sorry to get a off topic but as soon as your script supports subdomains (post-1.4, I know Wink) there will be another Free MyBB host around. Big Grin
KuJoe Wrote:Sorry to get a off topic but as soon as your script supports subdomains (post-1.4, I know Wink) there will be another Free MyBB host around. Big Grin

Competition is good! It keeps me alert and active. A monopoly is no fun because people tend to get complacent.

BMR777
@ BMR777: If you want to increase users over at freemybb.com, try and give your site a better style. Many new "web users" want to start a new free forum without the knowledge of php or any coding. Another factor is site style. All new web users search for a site that has style so it can be easier for them to navigate. At times, they'll also think you're a huge company and would automatically know you're reliable. It's all in the style and service.
Best Regards.
I find that most free forum hosts are full of really poor quality sites. It's rare that you see a very popular site on ipbfree or forumotion.

I think one reasons is because they don't give enough control to the user such as ability to download a database backup.
I would even look into hosting your Support Forum with MyBB, as it serves as a way for new people coming to your site to see the software in action before they use it.
labrocca Wrote:I find that most free forum hosts are full of really poor quality sites. It's rare that you see a very popular site on ipbfree or forumotion.

I think one reasons is because they don't give enough control to the user such as ability to download a database backup.

World is coming to a end as we agree on something. Well about the ability to download a database back up and such. It is that stuff that has turned me off from the free forum hosting people. Hard to go to one of them when there is countless sites that offer a subdomain and basically full control of your site even without ads. Not sure if many recall them but a few yrs back a place called forumer ( IPS had something to do with it i think? ) had what i thought was the right ideas as they gave total control of the forum to the forum owners via the allowed use of FTP, database backups, etc. That was right before and when 2.0 was still in RC. After 2.0.1 was fully released they shut it down. It is a shame because it really started to take off too. probably why like Labrocca said there isnt many very popular decent sites on the free forum hosts. Dont know many willing to go anywhere that doesnt allow them total control over their sites that has longterm goals of growing and expansion. very hard to go to a place where you cant even backup your own database and no FTP is allowed so you can add all the great mod's etc for your site. Yeah i know some claim to install them for you if you ask but with most it is like pulling teeth to get them to do it. JMHO.

Good luck.
Maybe I will start my own free mybb hosting...as a matter of fact it might be a good value add for Central Subscribers come to think of it. Smile

Right now I host mybbthemes.8ez.com for free but the domain would be useful for other free forum domains as well.

Oh and forumer still exists.
http://www.forumer.com/

Personally I think free forum hosts (and some do) should offer at least a paid backup solution in case you want to move your site to your own hosting. Places like forumotion offer no way to move your site.

BMR777 as far as I know the most important aspects of a free forum host are:
1. theme selection
2. ability to add plugins or at least have substantial selection to install in admincp
3. subdomain and short domain
4. ability to use your own domain
5. ability to create database backups and exports
6. ad free possiblities through purchase
7. good support forum

Seems you have a lot of these covered so just keep doing what you are doing.
labrocca Wrote:Maybe I will start my own free mybb hosting...as a matter of fact it might be a good value add for Central Subscribers come to think of it. Smile

Right now I host mybbthemes.8ez.com for free but the domain would be useful for other free forum domains as well.

Oh and forumer still exists.
http://www.forumer.com/

Personally I think free forum hosts (and some do) should offer at least a paid backup solution in case you want to move your site to your own hosting. Places like forumotion offer no way to move your site.

BMR777 as far as I know the most important aspects of a free forum host are:
1. theme selection
2. ability to add plugins or at least have substantial selection to install in admincp
3. subdomain and short domain
4. ability to use your own domain
5. ability to create database backups and exports
6. ad free possiblities through purchase
7. good support forum

Seems you have a lot of these covered so just keep doing what you are doing.

Damn my bad. It was called forumflash!!! Thanks for pointing that out.
I agree with the rest. Main thing to remember is there is a ton of other free hosts out there and thus the best thing i think you should do is offer what the rest dont along with what Labrocca suggested 1 thru 7.

One service i know many free providers dont offer is domain hosting/selling domains for your subscribers. Not sure of what it takes to do that though. Just a thought.
It seems from this thread that so far a big thing that people want is more control. I agree with you all that forum hosts should allow database backups for their users. Recently I saw a site charging users $40 for a backup of their forum's database. I find this outrageous.

For my Multiforums Script I decided to build in a backup manager so hosted forums can download their portion of the site's database if they need to. I think a lot of forum hosts don't allow database backups because 1) they could be a security risk if not implemented properly and 2) they are afraid of losing a forum if they give them the database.

You'll be happy to know that once MyBB 1.4 comes out, at least on my host, database backups will be free and can be made instantly anytime. I had to scrap the MyBB backup manager and write my own backup system, but it is safe and secure. Smile

Also, some of you have mentioned FTP access. Unfortunately due to the way multiforums scripts are made, FTP access is very dangerous. Because all of the forums share one set of MyBB files any changes made will affect all users, so free forum hosting sites are not for users who require FTP access to the files. It is very rare to find a multiforums host offering FTP access, especially for free. It is just a big security risk.

Plugins are also important. I have noticed though that not all plugins people request on my site work on my forum host just because of the way I had to modify the MyBB files. Some plugins, however, work perfectly fine. Certainly though a good selection of plugins that work is a good thing to have. Plugins certainly ad value to any forum hosting site and make it a more attractive offering for the users. Smile

Also, thanks to you who have made suggestions about the style of my site. I know I should probably make it look a lot better, but I am not talented in the graphics design field. Also, I hope to someday convert my support forums to MyBB, I just have been reluctant in case I break something in the process. Smile Maybe I will do this after MyBB 1.4 comes out in a stable release.

Also, @HarryWx - Thanks for your comments. One thing I have noticed is that my signups overall have decreased with the availability of free web hosting accounts. Back in 2005 when I started my site I was getting many signups, now I get less and less signups because people are going to free CPanel accounts with places like X10 and such. I still think though there will always be a demand for forum hosts such as mine in that some people want something they don't have to install or something that is managed for them where they don't need to worry about security or updates or getting their hands dirty with the administrative work.

Thanks for all the comments guys. They really help. Smile

BMR777
Pages: 1 2 3