MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Two suggestions.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
1. Topic description
2. Who's online (full) list option to show only registered users OR show all unregistered users (guests) viewing the board.
Topic descriptions are best left to a plugin (the majority of forums I've seen never use it).
For the second one, possibly...
(2008-06-11, 06:30 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote: [ -> ]Topic descriptions are best left to a plugin (the majority of forums I've seen never use it).
For the second one, possibly...

I can point you to a huge amount of sites that use topic descriptions. I am one of them myself that uses them.
One example is here. This is a big board that uses them alot. No this is not my site JUST a example.
http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?...owforum=15

Thing is that i believe only IPB has this built in but most who have it do infact use it from what i have seen.

Yes i would love for this to be added in but can live with the plugin. Smile
Actually I like the topic descriptions idea a bit. If it's not placed on the todo list for a future release it would make a good plugin. I know there are ajax descriptions but I never wanted to use that one. Topic descriptions imho would be useful for SEO.
(2008-06-11, 06:28 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Actually I like the topic descriptions idea a bit. If it's not placed on the todo list for a future release it would make a good plugin. I know there are ajax descriptions but I never wanted to use that one. Topic descriptions imho would be useful for SEO.

Smethead has a plugin for this that i have been using. However he like a few others i believe has dissapeared? Not sure to be honest. But yeah it probably would be good for SEO and as well help clean up that newer 1.4 messy look a little on forum display.
The description of the thread should be in the thread subject. If you need extra space, the post message has more than enough space.

That has always been my opinion Smile
(2008-06-11, 06:50 PM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-06-11, 06:28 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Actually I like the topic descriptions idea a bit. If it's not placed on the todo list for a future release it would make a good plugin. I know there are ajax descriptions but I never wanted to use that one. Topic descriptions imho would be useful for SEO.

Smethead has a plugin for this that i have been using. However he like a few others i believe has dissapeared? Not sure to be honest. But yeah it probably would be good for SEO and as well help clean up that newer 1.4 messy look a little on forum display.

It only looks messy because the width of this forum is smaller than standard and we have the ratings turned on for testing. Once 1.4 final comes out the ratings will probably be turned off and therefore it will look a lot better.
(2008-06-11, 09:03 PM)Tikitiki Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-06-11, 06:50 PM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]

It only looks messy because the width of this forum is smaller than standard and we have the ratings turned on for testing. Once 1.4 final comes out the ratings will probably be turned off and therefore it will look a lot better.

Bad Tiki! Giving me Ideas. Toungue But why not have the rating system inside the thread subject ( As seing how thats what it is about ) and move the Thread starter back to its own column? Ofcourse leaving the option to turn thread rating off. Big Grin Angel

Yeah i know i am bad. Just teasing you.

Thanks.

I'll probably turn it off. I dont use it on my current board anyways. believe it or not i have seen that one little thing start alot of silly arguments at various forums that have had it. You can guess why.Dodgy Just one of those things i would rather avoid and part why i dont use it. I'll just build a theme with more of the classic look to it after 1.4 is out. Speaking of which i need to set up my test site i plan on using when 1.4 comes out. I do that so i can first get it to the way i like it by doing a couple of themes etc and have them ready for when i do the upgrade. Try to make the upgrade as painless as possible.
If you ask me, I think Topic Descriptions are sometimes needed if you don't want to actually load a whole post just to see what they really mean - I'd rather see the topic with/without a description of what they want to say before looking into the topic.

And yea, my second suggestion is to just shorten down the who's online list so I can see real members and not both :| With both, it can lengthen the thing a lot.
(2008-06-12, 05:34 AM)Ginji Wrote: [ -> ]If you ask me, I think Topic Descriptions are sometimes needed if you don't want to actually load a whole post just to see what they really mean

Tell me, what then is the Thread Subject for?
Pages: 1 2