MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: .htaccess on Admin CP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can someone help me setup a .htaccess password on my Admin CP login? I tried looking up protecting a directory with .htaccess on Google but the one I found was confusing I couldn't figure it out. Thanks.
It's easier to do if you're host has Cpanel. If you're host has Cpanel all you have to do is password protect the admin directory using a secure username/password in the Cpanel for you're hosting account.

As for doing it by using .htaccess, I am unsure of how to do it by that method.

Someone else might be able to help you with that if you're host doesn't use Cpanel.
I don't think my host uses Cpanel, I have 1and1 and I looked through the admin tools they provide and there isn't a place where you can password protect a directory.
Do you know if you're host allows .htaccess and .htpasswd? Are you on free or paid hosting?

I'm asking this because most free hosts disable critical things such as .htaccess, .htpasswd and cron jobs and have PHP safemode enabled and sendmail disabled which can make using .htaccess or .htpasswd nearly impossible.

First step would be to ask your hosting provider if they allow .htaccess. Once you find out if they do, read this tutorial which I found using a short Google search:

http://www.thesitewizard.com/apache/pass...tory.shtml
I know they allow htaccess because I have a 301 redirect on my site. I have paid hosting with 2 domains, one domain on the root directory will not let me alter the htaccess file, but my other domain which is a specific directory on my server allows me to add and change htaccess. And the link you posted is a really good tutorial, it tells exactly what I need I have the htaccess setup so it asks for a username ans password, I just need to get SSH access to get the password setup, which I'll contact my host for.
1and1 has an option to protect directories... at least it does for me [attachment=9460]
You must have a different package than I, I've got the basic Linux one, I think its called Home Hosting or something like that.
The $4 a month one? that is 1&1 Beginner, i have 1&1 Home. And I just looked, you have the only that doesnt give you the protected directories Sad