MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Possibly Hacking....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A member of my forum informed me today that they stopped a virus from infecting my board.

Quote:the virus was trying to get through your server but i stopped it....it wasnt inside yet

They maintain that they didn't hack either the forum or the web server to do it. They've said that they only needed;

Quote:you need a command line, an extensive knowledge of some hacking programs and the location of the virus

Can anyone tell me if what they're talking about is actually possible without hacking into my site/the web server?
It sounds to me like you're being played with. Wink
Think about it, how would this member know anything that your server was doing? I doubt they could.

Ask if they can prove there is a virus or security breach on your server, or simply how they knew a virus was about to infect your board. Big Grin

If you're worried about it still: http://blog.mybboard.net/2008/02/06/secu...tallation/
I kinda figured they were full of it, but I'm a paranoid person. Smile Already tried asking for them to prove it, all they said was to look it up on google and that they didn't want to argue and were just going to let it go and say that I was right.

And thanks for the list of security tips, that was going to be my next question.
Do a back up and ban them Toungue
Did a backup the moment they mentioned it to me Smile As for banning them....Well they haven't really done anything except for be an annoying little bugger so far, but it's definitely an option.
As the owner of a hacker forum (hackforums.net) I can tell you the person is a moron.

My suggestion..ignore the fool.