MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MySQL Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

I have a pretty shitty webhost that:
1. Meters my bandwidth to a microscopic 4GB;
2. Limits my Database to 10MB

My Board has been open for about 4 days, there have been 3 users registered (including myself) and 6 posts. Now somehow, 6MB of the MySQL are already used and 512 MB of bandwidth (to save it, I hotlinked all my images from another host). Clearly that webhost may not be enaugh for me. I have a registered domain. Now I ask either for someone to list me a Fast, Reliable Webhost (prefferably with MySQL) that supports domain hosting or to tell me how to change the path to the mySQL database as I will use another database instead of the webhosts. I already downloaded the SQl file with all my Board settings. And I am one step away from transferrign in on the desired MySQL Database.

So the BIG QUESTION is:
How can I modify the Board's path to the existing MySQL Database, so that the desired Database will be used instead?
Upon installation a certain amount of DB gets used. 10mb isn't a lot but you can add more than you think. You can also truncate a few tables to free up space.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Change the sessions table to MEMORY/HEAP
2. Truncate the mybb_searchlog weekly via phpmyadmin
3. Prune the admin/moderator logs weekly in admincp
4. Limit your members PM boxes to 50
5. Truncate the mybb_captcha table monthly via phpmyadmin

These are some tips that would help anyone minimize their mysql table size.
Database information can be changed in inc/config.php
From the sounds of 6MB, I somewhat suspect you have a number of themes installed? Even with a lot of log entries, captcha entries etc, you shouldn't be using near 6MB.

As for the amount of transfer, is the forum the only thing that's hosted there?
(I started out on a free host with 10MB MySQL limit + 5GB/month bandwidth, and it mostly went fine - the first thing I hit was the MySQL limit, cause I had tonnes of themes installed (the templates table took up around 5MB; did manage to squeeze out a lot of space though), then I hit the load limit).