MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I hate DDoS attacks!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Anyone here ever had a site of theirs or their host get attacked by a DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack? One of my web hosts was under such a type of attack for over 12 hours yesterday. I'm finally back up, but this is an experience I would not wish on any webmaster.

In case you don't know what a DDoS attack is, it's where a server gets so many requests for a web page that it can't handle them all, and as a result the server may become slow, drop connections or just become unavailable all together.

In the 3+ years I have been hosting forums I have experienced three such attacks, either as the target or indirectly, so this type of attack is becoming a common occurrence for me at least once a year. Anyone else here ever been on a server caught in this type of attack? Time to share and vent. Smile

BMR777
What host? I had a bit of down time yesterday as well. Mine was 45 minutes.
Hostevery. I was completely down for a few hours but then I was up and down for about another 12 hours before they got it sorted.

BMR777
Ahh, I use 1&1.
I think there are a few DDoS prevention scripts out there? I hate it when people do that. If worse comes to worse I think your host may shut down that server until the DDoSing stops.
I think one method is when u ping continuously a site, right?
(2008-06-27, 04:00 PM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]I think one method is when u ping continuously a site, right?

Yeah, but for a large site you would have to do a lot of pinging from many machines to make a dent, or the rate of ping would have to be rather high. Too, if the pings all come from one IP I think they can be blocked with the firewall on the server.

Another method I know of is constantly requesting web pages on the server at a high rate that do not exist. The server has to look for the non-existent pages and eventually will get overloaded.

BMR777
(2008-06-27, 04:04 PM)BMR777 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-06-27, 04:00 PM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]I think one method is when u ping continuously a site, right?

Yeah, but for a large site you would have to do a lot of pinging from many machines to make a dent, or the rate of ping would have to be rather high. Too, if the pings all come from one IP I think they can be blocked with the firewall on the server.

Another method I know of is constantly requesting web pages on the server at a high rate that do not exist. The server has to look for the non-existent pages and eventually will get overloaded.

BMR777
How can that happen LOL ?
my forum got under ddos attack since long time ago, but since I moved to hostmonester, I never get under attack any more.
Quote:How can that happen LOL ?

DDoS attacks are all about making a server so busy that it can't keep up with the legitimate workload. Think of a worker in an office. If they get one legitimate phone call, they can handle it, but if they get hundreds of wrong numbers it becomes almost impossible for them to help the actual customers when they call because they are so busy. Same goes for servers.

BMR777
Pages: 1 2 3 4