MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Additional Usergroup Permissions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am going to feel stupid for this but have to ask anyways.

I haven't really used the Additional Groups yet and now I am on a site.

I have an area that's only for my VIP group but now I also have additional groups for "clans". The clans don't get access to an area but the VIP groups do.

I have it set where the VIP group is "Primary" and the clan is just "Display Group". The clan group is ticked as an "additional group".

Shouldn't the fact that the primary as VIP give them the permissions to access the areas I designated for them? It seems to only be true IF they are shown as the display group.

The odd behavior is the the VIP shouldn't have access to the clan forum but when I display as the VIP I do have that access. So what gives? Is this intended behavior because it's not cool at all. The "display group" shouldn't be effecting the primary group in this way.

I searched the Wiki and the site but searching for "group permissions" turns up a lot of unrelated results.

EDIT: Ok...this is kind of important but through my testing this is what i have found. I had let the VIP be default permissions which SHOULD have allowed access. I can only assume that in the database the permissions were not explicit. I set the VIP permission custom to YES and now it works. While I believe that's acceptable behavior it's also odd because the default is YES BUT...unless you explicitely create that as a "Custom Setting" then it won't work. Not sure how 1.4 works but imho this is a semi-bug or at least a nuisance.

Thanks and I hope this post helps someone else. The wiki should have more about permissions and groups.
The reason why it was done like that is because custom permissions override default.

That is, custom permissions to disallow a group will override default permissions allowing a group access. It may seem confusing, but if you think it through logically, it makes perfect sense (and in fact, it's the only method to give that type of control over usergroups).