MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Making a theme, What are the basics?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I’m Rob. I am pretty much a noob but have managed to get my forum up and running, (with a little help) I want to know more about making themes, Is there a tutorial that someone can point me to? I am a little leery about just making changes to the color codes in the “Themes Modify / Delete” area. How badly can I screw things up? Or should I just change something and then take a look? I am torn between a light airy earthy theme or something a bit dark, right now I am leaning towards a dark theme with the colors of my logo.

A little info on my site. It’s about alternant energy for home and for your vehicles, give it a look if you like.

http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/
You can revert any changes you make, so its nearly impossible to screw things up.

Basically the whole theme system is based on CSS (Cascading Styles Sheets). I don't know of any tutorials now, but I plan to write one for MyBB 1.4. This page explains each element in a bit better detil though:

http://wiki.mybboard.net/index.php/Admin_CP_Themes

It can't hurt to just try it out. Its all very simple, if you want to change a colour just find the right colour code and slip it in. If you need any help you're also welcome to ask questions here.
Thanks for the info, at least I don’t have to worry about making the whole forum invisible. I snagged a copy of Pixie so I can pick the color codes from my logo, guess I’ll give it a shot.

Rob.
If you aren't familiar with CSS i would recommend finding a theme that you like or is similar to the rest of your site if you have one in the mods section then going into the template section and just editing the header template. That way you can give it your own personal touch without having to much around with the themes.
you should learn XHTML and CSS. After that, you can make everything which you imagine...