MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mass, class, Kingshit: Bad words?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's really annoying that, if you have a bad word filter, things like "mass" or "Kingshit" are classified as bad words and end up as m[---] or King[---], although they aren't. That filter is basically really stupid and useless, if it doesn't only censor whole words.
Sorry, I'm not sure if I understand what you're trying to say.

The MyBB word filter only filters out whole words.
I think in another thread we came up with a general consensus that human moderators have the intelligence and capacity to differentiate between a good word and a bad word. The word filter doesn't have much AI. It just replaces what it is told to find, in a dumb and robotic way.
I'm not familiar with the word kingshit - care to elaborate? BTW, it's not even listed on dictionary.com
(2008-07-01, 01:18 AM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not familiar with the word kingshit - care to elaborate? BTW, it's not even listed on dictionary.com

I don't think we need to go into those details. The point is that the original poster is making is that if filtered words are part of other words which may be legitimate, that part of the word is censored.
I find that wildcard options work best. For those that what "word" or "*word" or "*word*".

The F bomb has no other place in the dictionary...it's not caught between anything.
Robert Bartholomew Kingshit, South African Philosopher. No must-know.
(2008-06-29, 09:14 AM)DennisTT Wrote: [ -> ]I think in another thread we came up with a general consensus that human moderators have the intelligence and capacity to differentiate between a good word and a bad word. The word filter doesn't have much AI. It just replaces what it is told to find, in a dumb and robotic way.
Exactly. The censor blocks out the words as you put them. It doesn't check to see if it's a legitimate word, just blocks what you put in. The word censor shouldn't be relied on heavily, just a tool to make life a bit easier. It has its flaws, but so does everything.