MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Editor width problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The width of the editor (when composing a PM at least) is a problem for people running fixed width themes. The width really should be editable in the template or with CSS. I don't think this is possible right now, can we make this change?

As seen on my fixed width template, and on the MyBB Community Forums, the editor causes problems where pages are squished and elements overflow.

This is just a suggestion, but it would save a lot of grief for people making themes for their own sites or distribution. If it's already possible to shrink the editor I apologize for this thread and hope you'll guide me in the right direction.

Picture 18: MyBBCF UserCP nav squished by editor.
Picture 12: N.Design 1.4 UserCP nav squished, overflow off to the right.
You can edit the width in the template for the private message compose page. It is just the cols attribute of the textarea that sets the width of the editor, I believe.
(2008-06-29, 07:46 PM)Justin S. Wrote: [ -> ]You can edit the width in the template for the private message compose page. It is just the cols attribute of the textarea that sets the width of the editor, I believe.
Thanks for your response Justin. Editing the cols attribute does shrink the textarea, but it causes some new issues.

We start to lose buttons from the toolbar and the codebuttons div doesn't overflow properly, the textarea covers up a checkbox.
I thought that might happen - there was previously a bug with the templates where the width of the textarea on the private message compose page was too small, causing what you've described.

How much smaller did you make the textarea?
Down to 40 columns.
It can't go any wider?

That's the only way I know to make the editor smaller :s I would suggest to make the number of columns displayed in the clickable smilies editor to three, but that would only work well if this theme isn't meant to be released.
Yeah, unfortunately this template is for release. I also plan to make a number of other fixed width templates, so this is going to be an ongoing problem.

If I made it wider then I have to change the whole private_send template and start moving columns around. We want to avoid nasty stuff like that it, plus that action would make it inconsistent will the post editor which is something I really want to avoid.

What are the chances we can get a dev to make the editor a little more fluid? It wasn't a problem in 1.2, so (I hope) it shouldn't be that big a fix.
The width and height is controlled with javascript in the editor.js.

And would need a VAR something like this:

<script TYPE="text/javascript">
var Textarea="w=300";
var Textarea="h=300";
</script>

Hound the dev's for a fix - because you're right, it's going to be theming pain otherwise. Sad
Definitely, we need control over editor width in the templates. Can this be implemented?
Photoshop it to see how it should look in your opinion when it gets small like that and I'll see what we can do.
Pages: 1 2 3