MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: my calendar was spammed .. how to fix?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all. Forgive me for being totally newbie at this. I don't understand a lot of how BB systems work although I have been on them forever. I have one that is rarely used on my website though I hope to have it be used more often in the future. Unfortunitly I got majorly spammed. Not sure how long it has been going on. A friend alerted me today. Anyway, it is just in the calendar part of the BB. I need ot know 1) how to remove it. Is there a better way than going into each post and deleting? 2) how to prevent it in the future from happening again. Someone installed (my webmaster) it for me and I am not sure how to do all the installing and stuff. I would love to learn, but it hasn't been high on my priority list because there are more important things ahead of it as of now. Anyway, if anyone could tell me what to do or how to fix it, I'd appreciate it a lot!!!

Dawn
Go to AdminCP
Users and Groups => Manage Groups => Unregistered / Not Logged In => Edit Usergroup => Permissions: Calendar => Can Add Public Events => No
(2008-07-02, 09:01 PM)DragonFever Wrote: [ -> ]Go to AdminCP
Users and Groups => Manage Groups => Unregistered / Not Logged In => Edit Usergroup => Permissions: Calendar => Can Add Public Events => No

Thank you DragonFever! I fixed that. Now I have to figure out how to get all the junk off! Confused
You can run following query in phpmyadmin for deleting all events which was written by unregistered users:
DELETE FROM `mybb_events` WHERE `author`='0'

Note: If you don't use default prefix, you should change prefix with yours.
The same thing happened to me a while back. I think the calendar posting should be disabled by default for guests. Lightbulb

BMR777
(2008-07-02, 10:43 PM)BMR777 Wrote: [ -> ]The same thing happened to me a while back. I think the calendar posting should be disabled by default for guests. Lightbulb

BMR777

I agree...it's a problem but I think 1.4 has them off by default now.
Thank you so much, once again. I'm not sure really where to run that query .... could you be a little more specific? I really do want to learn all this but I know I need to upgrade and then I'm sure I'll go with 1.4 once it is out of Beta (is that the one in Beta atm?) Thanks again for all the help!
To run the query, use PHPMyAdmin. If you have CPanel hosting go to your CPanel and find the PHPMyAdmin link. When PHPMyAdmin loads, select your database from the list on the left. Once you select the database, the page will change. After it changes, find on the left at the top the button in the middle that says "SQL" and click it. Enter the code into the pop-up window and press submit. Smile

BMR777
(2008-07-03, 12:16 AM)rememberingyourbaby Wrote: [ -> ](is that the one in Beta atm?)

Yes.
OK I finally got in there to run the Query. It is giving me an error:

----
Error

SQL query:

DELETE FROM mybb_events WHERE author = '0'

MySQL said: Documentation
#1146 - Table 'remember_smf1.mybb_events' doesn't exist

----
I also ran it with 'Guest' but got the same error message.

Any thoughts?
Pages: 1 2