MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Issues With Outgoing Emails!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,

I am new to the world of forums, and in particular the building of and execution. However I have managed to install, and setup a forum on my website, which is working great except for one issue that is driving me crazy.

When adding dummy accounts, the confirmation emails are not being sent out, unless the email address is part of my domain. If I create a user account with [email protected] its fine, but if it was [email protected] I have no joy.....

What am I doing wrong??

Thanks
Check to make sure your host has the php mail function enabled. Some hosts do not.
(2008-07-05, 02:29 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Check to make sure your host has the php mail function enabled. Some hosts do not.

I'm pretty sure that it does, but i'll double check before I waste peoples time with something that can not be achieved

Cheers
It would appear that it does, and I have run a mailtest.php that was supplied on the host forum. The host is free-space.net.

Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks
So basically, the mail sending works, BUT, the From email address must be a part of your domain? If so, that's most likely a host issue, because MyBB doesn't force you to have a From email address to be the same as your domain.
(2008-07-05, 04:16 AM)ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote: [ -> ]So basically, the mail sending works, BUT, the From email address must be a part of your domain? If so, that's most likely a host issue, because MyBB doesn't force you to have a From email address to be the same as your domain.

I'm not sure what is happening, but I assume that it must be a host issue. Like you've said, it is sending mail out, but only if the address is associated to my domain
The response from my host is that:

"you must smtp authenticate all outgoing php mails, look for a setting in your myBB admin for outgoing mail settings"

How can I do this, or will I have to wait for the new version of MyBB to be released first?

Thanks
Maybe this is the solution of your problem:

Some webhosts have various restrictions on PHP mail. Some hosts require that the "From" address be a mailbox address on their server. Other hosts may disable the mail function completely. Please ask your webhost if there are any special restrictions they have on sending mail via PHP.

If your webhost has restricted that only mails from there own domain is allowed, try to edit the file inc/functions.php.

Look for:
mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);
and include above:
ini_set "sendmail_from", " [email protected] ");

Then it should look like this:
ini_set("sendmail_from", " [email protected] ");
mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);

YOURDOMAIN must be replaced by the domain where the forum is hosted.

Retrieved from "http://wiki.mybboard.net/index.php/Help:Mail"
imho you should just make the from email [email protected]

The return address from that email is an easy way for spammers to get your address. Your email address should be protected from people that you do not know. No one here really knows my REAL email address. I use a set of redirects so I can cut spam to almost nothing. Smile

People can contact you at the site easily enough. Usually the contacts I get are people saying they didn't get the auth email. So having your real email in the reply isn't going to help them contact you if they didn't get the email to begin with.

There are a couple contact form available for mybb floating around. Try using one of those.

Hope I helped.
(2008-07-05, 07:44 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]imho you should just make the from email [email protected]

The return address from that email is an easy way for spammers to get your address. Your email address should be protected from people that you do not know. No one here really knows my REAL email address. I use a set of redirects so I can cut spam to almost nothing. Smile

People can contact you at the site easily enough. Usually the contacts I get are people saying they didn't get the auth email. So having your real email in the reply isn't going to help them contact you if they didn't get the email to begin with.

There are a couple contact form available for mybb floating around. Try using one of those.

Hope I helped.

I never thought of that, but you're right. It's much better to use the "[email protected]" as sender.