MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Do I have to have web hosting to start?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm just getting started with my forum and want to eventually have it on a hosted web site. But right now, as I'm learning the ins and outs of designing a forum, I don't want to waste the money on hosting a site that isn't even designed yet. Is it possible to download MyBB and design my interface on my laptop without having a hosting account? Then, when I'm ready to launch (I'm a slow software learner, so it may be a while), I can purchase hosting, then upload the forum to the site. Anybody got an answer. Thanks. Huh
Downloading and installing something like WAMP will allow your laptop to act as a webhost.
Then all you need to do is install MyBB on it.
(2008-07-09, 01:06 AM)rh1n0 Wrote: [ -> ]Downloading and installing something like WAMP will allow your laptop to act as a webhost.
Then all you need to do is install MyBB on it.

Just what I needed to hear. Thanks rh1n0.
Not a problem, you're welcome. Smile
i like XAMPP this is also good as well. it works on all the os so that is why i like it cos i use them all from time to time Big Grin
rh1n0, I hope you're seeing this. I am an absolute newby at this, so excuse my ignorance. I downloaded WAMP like you suggested. When I clicked on the desktop icon to see what the program was like, it did nothing. Is it supposed to run in the background? Or am I supposed to see something, even a basic welcome screen?
Try pointing your web-browser to "127.0.0.1"; if something comes up, XAMPP is running. If not, well, then it isn't.

Is there an icon in your system tray for XAMPP?
I get a WAMP screen that talks about system server and tools and aliases, so I guess that means it's running. Thanks, Mr. Doom (I never thought I'd type those words in my lifetime!)
yes know you add the files to what you set to your as your webroot
(2008-07-11, 03:19 AM)superdub Wrote: [ -> ]I get a WAMP screen that talks about system server and tools and aliases, so I guess that means it's running. Thanks, Mr. Doom (I never thought I'd type those words in my lifetime!)
if you edited nothing, it's probably c:/wamp/htdocs