MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: get rid of cookie settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

My cookie settings are correct still can't log in. I read every possible solution posted here on this forum but none helped.

I posted my problems in two different topics, but noone seems to be able to help.

http://community.mybboard.net/thread-267...#pid225341
http://community.mybboard.net/thread-33607.html

I cleared cookies, cache, installed new browsers, tried every possible combination of cooike settings, tried to log in from different computers but the problem still exists.
And occassionally users also complaining about this issue.

So I'm asking, is there a way to disable this settings? I use some other forum softwares as well, but it's never a problem, why does this issue always pop up with mybb?

I think MyBB staff should really look into this issue, because it's not always happens when someone sets their cookie settings incorrectly. And this problem occurs with many users.

It is also easy to say to tell the users to "clear their cookies and cache", but I think it's not a very good first impression of a forum when they are not able to log in. And also there are still many people who are having problem with even the very basics of the internet. I don't think they would bother looking for stuff like cookies and cache.

And please don't take this to heart guys, I'm just raising an issue that is around for quite some time now, and I think it should be paid more attention.
Cookies are what keeps you logged in. Removing them would seriously stop everything working.

And for the majority of people, cookies work perfectly fine, so really, it's only an issue with your setup.

I checked your forum - settings appear to be correct, however, your webserver isn't outputting (setting) the user's cookies.

I get the following HTTP headers after logging in.
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:33:03 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.3
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.2.3
Set-Cookie: mybb[lastactive]=1215772383; expires=Sat, 11-Jul-2009 10:33:03 GMT; path=/
Content-Length: 2540
Content-Type: text/html
The server _should_ be sending a mybb[user] cookie, however, it isn't.

Do you have any plugins which may be interfering with this?
No plugins installed on the forum.
Possibly a server conflict?

If you can't figure it out, I'll be willing to debug it for you (you'll need to PM me administrative and FTP details).
PM sent.
Thanks
Okay, I found the problem to be your Hungarian global.lang.php file.
Not too confident with character encodings, however that file had some extra bytes prepended to it, which causes output to be sent (and stops headers being sent).

I've removed the extra bytes, and backed up your file to global.lang.php.bak. Hope everything works fine.
Thanks very much everything seems to be ok now.