MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Quick Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was thinking.. where the hell can you set what groups "only" see the forums on the index page?
What i mean is this, You have a "members group" with sub forum sections and they have full access.
Now, what if i want other groups to be able to see the sections, but have no access to view them?

Show off what you have on the index.. but deny access to view inside.

Yes, I know where and how the set Permissions for each forum,
View / Post Threads / Post Replies / Post Polls / Can Upload / All

When i set it to only "view" for a group, they can still view the sections posts.
I only want them to see the sections on the index.. but have no access to view the sections content.

Where would that be? ...LOL

It was easy in phpbb2 and 3. It has "View".. and "allow access" as 2 separate settings.

Any help?
As far as I know, that can only be done with a modification. I know there is a plugin around here somewhere that enables guests to see the index but they have no access to view the actual threads. Don't think that has been done for the rest of the members though.
Thanks judel, thanks what i thought.

It's to bad,
Would nice to be able to pick who you show your board to without giving access.

Maybe one day Confused
Can't you go to AdminCP ->Forum Management->Permissions? You can edit each group's permissions there.

Also, perhaps password protected might work?
Password protected is no good Kage,
Would be a pain in the butt for everyone to have to enter a pass all the time for about 80+ sections.. lol
Also, AdminCP ->Forum Management->Permissions has nothing for this sort of thing.

As judel also said. would need to be done with a code modification.
http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthre...78#pid1078

But I generally don't see the big need to have such tight control... >_>
But that would display ALL private forums, wouldn't it? Even forums you've set up for staff or yourself only? That's certainly why I've never considered that an option to this problem.
Thanks ZiNgA BuRgA, but i agree with judel.

I would not want "everything" to show.
I want complete control of everything like phpbb 2 & 3 has done.

With the kind of forum i run, showing the sections is a HUGE draw for making people want to sign up.
I just don't want them to have access unless they are in a group that's allowed.

I do not think this would be a hard mod to do for a good coder.
It's just a matter of adding the 1 more option setting for permissions for the forum settings.

We would then have
View / View Deny Access / Post Threads / Post Replies / Post Polls / Can Upload / All

Maybe one day someone will do it Angel
Admin CP --> Board Settings --> Change --> Forum Home Options --> Show Private Forums

Or is it called "Hide Private Forums" -- one or the other, it should be what you're looking for.
Thanks DennisTT, but that does not do what i want.

I do not want to make the sections viewable to everyone... and all forums.
I want to select what groups see what sections.. complete control.. forum by forum.

No worries, mybb would need to be modded for this.
I can live with it the way it is, just would have been nice to have like phpbb Big Grin