MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mods == Plugins || Mods != Plugins?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I hear "mods" and "plugins," I interpret it this way.

"Mods" are code modifications, and usually affect core files. They don't come with an instant install feature usually, it's a list of instructions on how to modify the code to do what you want.

"Plugins" are integrable into MyBB software. You upload them, you install them in the MyBB Admin CP, and no changes are made to any files.

"Mods" can also stand for "modules," which are the same as plugins.

That is all my interpretation, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

But if I'm not, then shouldn't it be plugins.mybboard.net, etc.? This is bothering me, because you also have a board called "Mods and Plugins," implying that there is indeed a difference between the two. And to inexperienced users looking for "plugins," they might assume that "mods" are too difficult and move away from mods.mybboard.net, when in reality, mods.mybboard.net is entirely plugins. The Admin CP calls them "plugins" and not "Mods/Plugins," so once again, a difference is implied.

I'm probably overreacting, but just a suggestion, I guess, is you might want to fix that eventually. When you're bored or something. Like you guys ever get bored.

Yeah.

Bye bye now.
Your overreacting, and it's not going to change anytime sooner (or ever)

Just so you know Mods is short for modifications. Modifications means "to make something different," whether it be by plugins, a direct code modification, themes, etc.
Way back when MyBB Mods was created, plugins didn't exist. The name stuck.