MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: So.... MyBB eh?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'll be honest. I always thought that when it came to free forum software, there were two viable options: Simple Machines, and phpBB.

It wasn't until I decided to check out the community forums of CentSports.com (referral link Wink) that I discovered MyBB. It looks really cool. I noticed the plug-in system, which was one of the main things I disliked about phpBB (manual mods never worked for me. Even considering MyBB would be a big step for me, however, as I've grown familiar with the way Simple Machines works (and have grown to love it), and admittedly I've been known to call phpBB sexy-licious (because really, it is).

But I'm always willing to give something new a shot. What are the flagship features of MyBB? What makes MyBB different from phpBB or Simple Machines? I know very little about it at this point, and would be interested in learning more.

Most importantly are these two questions:
1) How easily can MyBB integrate with a site?
2) How easily can MyBB be configured to use an existing members database?

I ask this because I'm not going to build (or launch) a site with the forum already included. I'd like to get my (in concept) site off the ground before I muck with the code.

Perhaps the biggest question of all is:
How easily can MyBB be configured to use my cookies, not its own.

Thanks a bundle, and hey, maybe I'll find a new friend in MyBB Heart
-Spear
1)Pretty easily, there are some tutorials on how to do so here.
2)I think so...might want to double check.
You'll have to dig through some PHP code in order to do #2 and #3. As tgo said, there are tutorials on Site-Forum integration on the User-Submitted tutorials forum.
Cool. I'm totally fine with playing with PHP.

But one thing.... is there a way to eliminate the annoying "Message posted, you will now be returned to the topic?" In my mind, bringing them back to the (updated) topic should be enough.
Disable 'show friendly redirect pages' in your user cp settings.
cool!

now i'm really curious:

is there a way I can demo the skins? what about administrative features?

and those global announcements at the top of the forum index.... can the administrator make those "dismiss-able"? as in, the user can dismiss them?

and my profile link is
http://community.mybboard.net/user-14974.html
how's that done.... apache?
(2008-07-23, 03:23 AM)spearfish Wrote: [ -> ]cool!

now i'm really curious:

is there a way I can demo the skins? what about administrative features?

Theme demo: http://mods.mybboard.net/theme-demo/

MyBB 1.2.x demo: http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php?o...ew&id=2124

(2008-07-23, 03:23 AM)spearfish Wrote: [ -> ]and those global announcements at the top of the forum index.... can the administrator make those "dismiss-able"? as in, the user can dismiss them?

No they are just HTML in the index template - [wiki]Help:Latest News Bar[/wiki]

(2008-07-23, 03:23 AM)spearfish Wrote: [ -> ]and my profile link is
http://community.mybboard.net/user-14974.html
how's that done.... apache?

SEO URLs are built into MyBB 1.4.x. They are done by Apache's mod_rewrite module and .htaccess. Of course if your server doesn't support this, the traditional query string URLs can still be used.
well @ spearfish

every thing is so user friendly and easy that you can do what you without any big problem Smile
Me came here from nowhere an d now i am for only here.

1. Integration is very easy i have done that to m not that gud at PHP.So i think as you said you are gud at PHP so there shud be no problem for you.

2. Merge you database using PHP codes developed by MyBB Team if currently you are using IPB,VB,SMF or PHPBB etc......
Software will do what you want to do Wink

So shortly MyBB is best of all the Forum softwares i have mentioned above as its main concern to facilitate users not for money and same is my thought about MyBB Team.
that's awesome!

thanks a ton. MyBB is really great, and I'll definitely have to consider using it when I need to add a forum.
oh, and is this board (community.mybboard.net) itself running any modifications? or does mybb just come like this?

i know simple machines has an ajax reply mod, but is it a core feature of mybb?
(2008-07-30, 04:25 PM)spearfish Wrote: [ -> ]that's awesome!

thanks a ton. MyBB is really great, and I'll definitely have to consider using it when I need to add a forum.
oh, and is this board (community.mybboard.net) itself running any modifications? or does mybb just come like this?

i know simple machines has an ajax reply mod, but is it a core feature of mybb?

Yes its default in myBB1.4. All the features you see here are in myBB1.4. They just changed the theme slightly. Smile
Pages: 1 2