MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MY BB Backup Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
To anyone who can help, i've read through the forum and can't find the proper answer to my question.

I have a backup of my mybb forum (only through mybb administation --database tools -- backup database) how do i go about using this to restore my mybb forum?

I have no other backup of my forum, i didn't run a myphpadmin backup of mysql or anything like that- i simply have JUST the backup database i made through the mybb admin page. If it's possible to take this backup and restore my site, could someone give me a quick walk through on what to do?

I also did drag my forum folder off of my FTP to my desktop as a backup so to speak.

Greatly appreciated for anyone that can help!
You would have to import it with phpMyAdmin, as MyBB doesn't provide an interface for importing for security reasons.

If your host doesn't have phpMyAdmin, you can get it yourself at www.phpmyadmin.net
So i've messed up my forum and all i want to do is retrieve my posts. Is it possible to find them via the FTP? I did make a database backup via the admin cp, but i don't see anything but tables in the backup. All i really want are the posts back so i can re-paste them into a new mybb installation. I appreciate anyone's help with this!
All the backups you have backed up via admin cp is stored in the folder admin/backups. If there is no file, this means you have selected downloading backup when backing up the database.
I have the backups in there- and i've tried to use dump and myphpadmin to do a restore via my backup but they won't work (i've wasted at least a week trying to configure them) Is there a way to just get my posts out without going through this whole backup restore?

Maybe i could give one of you my information and you could setup the myphpadmin for me and run my restore- i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong but it refuses to connect to my database.
Here's the lowdown on my situation:

My mybb installation went wacky, i ran the upgrade and that pretty much finished the job. I had made a backup via the admin cp tool in mybb. I downloaded that to my desktop and i pulled my forum installation from my FTP to my desktop. I searched on trying to restore my backup and get my forum back up and running and i see phpmyadmin and dump as tools to do this- i've downloaded them, installed them but nothing works- i keep getting error after error. I've dedicated a lot of time to trying to learn those tools inside and out and alas... i'm getting nowhere.

I tried to re-install mybb and point it to my sql database and that works, but it doesn't restore my information, i get a blank forum with no info no nothing (basically a fresh install). I'm willing to share my ftp information if anyone could help me get my forum back. I would really truly appreciate it- heck, i'd even cut a small check to anyone who could rescue my forum information.

If none of these work options work, is there a way to just retrieve my posts (just the text that's all i care about)? It's an RPG forum, so they matter greatly. Is this something that can be done?
Hi,

Please read (and try) this tutorial:

http://community.mybboard.net/thread-2446.html
First of all, does your host give you access to phpMyAdmin? Can you ask your webhost?

Also, I've merged all your threads together. Please keep the same problem in one topic, and not make additional threads about the same issue. Thanks
I'll check out that link-

I don't have access to any CP, and no phymyadmin. We generate sql databases with a simple text driven button click. I've forwarded my concerns to my host- but it takes him forever to respond.
Checked out that link- i've been there before and read until the end of the thread. Problem is- none of that stuff exists in phpmyadmin. There aren't any sql buttons. I have the newest release, maybe that was from an older version. ditto that for 'dump' and i can't use ssh as i have no access to my host server other than through FTP.

As i've prefaced, i've tried to install phpmyadmin and it does nothing but error out, i've gone through the tutorial and wiki and done everything by the book- some things though are transparent- like when it talks about dropping tables.... from what? how? it doesn't say specifically, i dropped the tables out of the backup i have and it just gives me new errors.

Keep the suggestions coming though, maybe something will click. I've just exhausted all my options. Apart from someone setting up phpmyadmin for me and running my backup i'm not sure i can resolve this.
I assume from your previous post that you've uploaded phpMyAdmin to your host. Have you successfully logged in yet? Let's try to take this one step at a time.
Pages: 1 2