MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Question / Feedback / Suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
howdy
Not sure where to put this as i have one of each topic....Big Grin

Feedback
just found and installed MyBB yseterday on godaddy with windows, install went just fine.........thank you !!

Question
The only issues was, i had to make the whole inc and uploads directory read/write to install. Can i leave it this way ?

Why would you do this you ask......
I was told, It appears with the windows confing(i need windows for some other stuff) i can only change the directory properities not just an individual file properities.

fyi
It seems that when i set up my accoungt i picked ie7 not ie6.
If i had chosen ie6 there would be no PHP support.

Suggestion
It may be here but i havnt found it yet...but it would be nice at the end of the install directions to have something say
"your all set to use your forum, to make any simple changes (logos, colors, etc) check out this FAQ"

Unfortunately you havn't heard the last of me.....Angel
thanks.....pete
Quote:The only issues was, i had to make the whole inc and uploads directory read/write to install. Can i leave it this way ?
you just need to CHMOD the following
inc/settings.php // you'll leave it write able even after the installtion
inc/config.php // you can make it unwrite able after you finish the installation
inc/cache // only if you will save your cache in files instead of database
uploads
uploads/avatars

thats all as I remember..
(2008-07-25, 01:16 PM)pripaldi Wrote: [ -> ]Why would you do this you ask......
I was told, It appears with the windows confing(i need windows for some other stuff) i can only change the directory properities not just an individual file properities.

fyi
It seems that when i set up my accoungt i picked ie7 not ie6.
If i had chosen ie6 there would be no PHP support.

Are you hosting your site on your windows desktop? Because if not then well that's why you can't chmod the files. You have to upload them first Wink and then CHMOD them through your ftp program(pretty much all of them support it now).

Then about IE. Well that has no effect on PHP as that's a server side script meaning it's all handled by the server so what you computer uses doesn't matter that much.
Probably pripaldi meant "IIS" instead of "IE". Wink
(2008-07-25, 05:37 PM)DennisTT Wrote: [ -> ]Probably pripaldi meant "IIS" instead of "IE". Wink

OOPS !!..... whats an I or mistyped letter or two amoung friends IE, IIS II goofed......

NetSage
its hosted on the godaddy windows based server. The only properties i can change are the whole directory, cant change an individual files property. Tried it with the ftp software and the file manager software on the server, with the techie on the phone.

Unless there's is a big security risk , guess ill just leave the inc and upload dir read/write.......

thanks for the replies....pete
now back to the rum, coke and MYBB documentation....
No problem and it makes a lot more sense now. I've never used IIS though so don't know what to tell you.