MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Implementing a portal - how?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've searched through posts and I've looked at the docs but I'm still none the wiser. The AdminCP permits control over the left-side boxes but there a few clues as to how boxes in the middle and right can be set up. The posts I have found by searching appear to be by people who have already cracked it and want to fine-tune it.

So, I am looking for that elusive middle ground - a simple example on implementing the other boxes, not just the left-hand side. My guess is that it involves a lot of tweaking and delving into PHP which I'm not quite up to yet. Any direction on where I get further info and maybe an example or two would be most helpful.

Thanks

David
(2008-07-27, 12:38 PM)DragonFever Wrote: [ -> ]Take a look at following link:
http://community.mybboard.net/thread-332...#pid223017
Thanks for that - that's a good start. It gives me left and right but nothing in the middle. I guess that $announcements gets its feed from a specifically named forum. I'd take a look but am not proficient enough in PHP or MyBB to know where to find announcements. Any clues?

Thanks

David
You need to do that it the admin CP. It's under the portal settings. You put in the forum id you want the posts to be pulled from.

To find the forum id just select that forum and it should be the last number or 2 in the address bar Wink.
(2008-07-27, 05:27 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]You need to do that it the admin CP. It's under the portal settings. You put in the forum id you want the posts to be pulled from.

To find the forum id just select that forum and it should be the last number or 2 in the address bar Wink.
Yep, did that. Selected the forum I wanted to use. Put that number into the Portal section of the AdminCP and still nothing. Put a few dummy posts in - zero. There's a subtlety there somewhere...

BTW, I've been trying this over on OpenSourceCMS as I'm still waiting for my ISP to upgrade my account to one with MySQL so I have been doing my homework in advance.

Thanks

David
Simple test - go to the demo board on OpenSourceCMS, change the portal ID to 2 (the ID for the default forum), add in a test post and go to http://demo.opensourcecms.com/mybb/portal.php

What do you see? There is a box for latest threads showing the test post but there are no Announcements shown. Now, this is either a bug or there is something else that has to be set. Either way, it would be nice if somebody could shed some light on this. I'm new to BBs and need to know whether I have an understanding problem or I am being hampered by a bug.

Thanks

David
I'm trying to get the regular forums bit to be where the annoucements are