MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Asterisk after username?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm not sure why this is, pardon if this is kind of a silly question.

There is this guy who registered on my forum. He has made absolutely no posts, and has only been on for about 2 minutes total, but he has an asterisk (a '*') after his name. I looked, and the asterisk isnt actually part of his username it just seems to be appended to it and isnt part of the link to his profile.

Can someone explain to me what this means?

Edit: I get it now... invisible mode (and I am an admin so I can see through this)
That sounds like a SQL error when the user was inserted into the database.
This indicates that the user has opted to hide their online status, however you can still see them listed as online as an administrator.
You learn something new everyday!
Ha, when I first found this (in mybb 1.2) I though that - because it was next to the name of a big time spammer - there was some sort of known spammer database in MyBB I didn't know about and nearly banned all my members in invisible mode!
Does anyone know how one can prevent users from using the asterisk as a part of the user name? In the banning settings, the asterisk is the wildcard, and I dn't want to ban all registrations, of course.
You cant use * in registration as far as i know, only letters, numbers and "-" i think Smile

as said above it indicates hidden status
Hm. Then how come I have at least two users on my board who with user names of the tpe *name* ?

I just tested it. It works: http://www.linguisten.de/member.php?acti...le&uid=647

Such users are hard to find with search.php
Is there *any* way to escape the asterisk in the acp banned username settings?
Try putting in this:

\*

If that doesn't work, and nobody else knows a way, it may be a limitation.
Pages: 1 2