MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [F] Thread Subscriptions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After I updated I started getting emails with new posts in threads I'd posted in. I didn't want that so I switched the option to "No email notification"...but I'm still getting emails.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or because I had that option set previously that the threads that original had email notification will always have email notification or what.
After upgrading to 1.4 all my users have the setting Default Thread Subscription Mode switched to Instant email notification. Until the upgrade the default selection was: Do not subscribe.

My users are complaining, my host asked me about the spike in email traffic, but there is nothing I can do (only to modify the profile settings for all my users, one by one). I have 700 users and this is not an option.

PHP Paul, after switching the option to "No email notification" you will still receive emails from subscribed threads. You should delete the subscription from your User CP.

I hope MyBB staff will give us a way to switch the Subscription feature OFF by default, for all users.
Run this query in phpmyadmin so will be turned off to all current users

UPDATE mybb_users SET subscriptionmethod='';

but every new user will be subscribed again, so you´ll need to run this query weekly/montly

if someone know how to disable in Templates, please read this thread:
http://community.mybboard.net/thread-34832.html
this could be more effective than just repeating that query "forever" every week...

Is it possible to include this mysql command in a task or cron job? If yes, what is the correct procedure?
(2008-08-05, 04:18 PM)aglioeolio Wrote: [ -> ]but every new user will be subscribed again, so you´ll need to run this query weekly/montly
Actually this isn't the case, at least not on my boards.

I had the same problem with auto-subbing for all my previous members and did a update query same as you folks, I also figured I'd have to keep repeating it for new users but I tried registering with a dummy and in the sign up options the default is OFF (again, at least on my boards).
I'm going to go ahead and consider this a bug because of the amount of people that don't want this feature on by default. I'll look into it being off by default for the next maintenance release.
Well I guess it really depends on the target audience. For a support forum where most people just want an answer to a problem (not unlike this one, mostly) notification by default is great, but for a forum people visit and read all the time it's a pita.

Granted the user gets to pick on sign-up and can adjust it in the User CP but I think the best solution would be to have the admin decide what should be default, if it could be an ACP setting that would be excellent.
Okay,

Can someone test this file. I believe this is only caused by those who upgrade their forum software. Please put this in install/resources/ overwriting the old one and see if it's off my default now.

Ryan
From the tests I did it is off by default for new members who register (which is good), it seems the upgrade just set all existing user settings to notify by email for some strange reason so I can't really test it.

Maybe it's just me though. Confused
Well the fact that you get emails for subscribed threads AFTER changing your settings to 'no email notification' says bug to me.
Pages: 1 2