MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrading from MyBB 1.2.14 to MyBB 1.4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all.

First of, I did read the upgrading instructions but I actually need some help on another method to upgrade my forums from 1.2.14 to 1.4.

Instead of overwriting my current 1.2.14 install I want to upload MyBB 1.4 to a new directory, grab the database of the old forums and make 1.4 use that one. From there I'll just add the plugins as they become available, use the old template of the old forums and such.

I think I actually did it wrong myself when I tried yesterday, so right now I'm hoping someone here could tell me if the way I'm gonna describe it in here is actually the way to do it. I'm not sure if it actually works the way I'm writing it down here but I need to do the upgrade in a different directory because I want to keep the old forums up and running, so I can switch to MyBB 1.4 as soon as I'm done with porting the 1.2.14 database, templates and anything else.

Okay, here goes. Please remember I THINK this is the way it could be done. If it's not then please tell me. If it is, tell me too Smile

1. Create a new directory for MyBB 1.4, upload all files and set permissions (CHMOD)
2. Create a new database for MyBB 1.4
3. Export the 1.2.14 database
4. Import the 1.2.14 database into the 1.4 one
5. Run the upgrade script
6. Rename/delete the install directory in the new directory

The first (and last) time I tried myself everything seemed to be okay. Although I had to edit the config file a bit to make it point to the new directory everything seemed fine.

I however then discovered the Member list was empty and there seemed to be only one user which was me. So yeah, I know I didn't do it the right way, so is the way I described it above the procedure to follow?

Hopefully somebody can help me with this.
Edit: Never mind if you want to keep your 1.2 forum live then my way won't work.

Yes your steps seem correct.
u did it the right way..
for the member list problem.. try to rebuild your cache and recount your statics.
thats may help..
but one thing I have to ask about..
before you export your 1.2 db, did u disabled your plugins or no?
if no, that may cause some problems

and elso, u need to use the find updated tool for your templates..
I had some doubt related to disable plugins... Some plugins were installed in my board, and I uninstalled them by deleting files. That might be enought, but somewhere in this forum someone said how to remove at 100% plugins for your MyBB installation.

Can you explain how to do it, or link to that thread? I have been looking for, but with no results, and that's what's preventing me to upgrade to 1.4.

Thanks.
Hi,

To fix your member list problem you need to update your templates to work with MyBB 1.4 using the "Find Updated Templates" feature in the MyBB ACP under the Templates page.

Ryan
Alright. Tried the things suggested here and it worked. Thanks all!

Now the hard job starts, make my old template compatible with 1.4 Smile