MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: what exactly will i lose by upgrading?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i know i will lose use of plugins that have not been updated for 1.4...but will i lose my custom pages? what about my edits to templates? i don't have a custom theme yet, so that isn't an issue...
You wont loose anything you will WIN a lot. Just follow the guide when upgrade and enjoy
Customized templates are kept. It is your responsibility to update them with MyBB 1.4 code after the upgrade is complete (we provide you a "diff" page to find the differences between the default 1.4 template, and your customized template)

About your custom pages, it depends on how they are setup. They likely need an updated modification or plugin to work with MyBB 1.4.
fedt, i realize i will gain a lot. but there's still things that will be headaches to update.
dennis, my custom pages were manually added with a php file and a basic template that i created... do you think they will be effected?

i think i'm going to wait a little while before upgrading. i'd like to have as smooth a transition as possible...
so it looks like most of the mods i used in 1.2.x are now available for 1.4.1 and ive updated my test forums without problems. i really want to upgrade to 1.4.1 but im still unclear about my custom pages and the edits i made to a lot of my templates. how will the upgrade differentiate between the new template and the customized templates i have in 1.2.x?
When I thought about going to 1.4, I didn't want to lose all my stuff and almost didn't do it... but I don't regret it at all, 1.4 is so much better, and a lot of the big mods have already been updated.

What sort of custom pages do you have??
i have a few custom pages for advertising information, links, and community guidelines. the custom pages have their own templates and php files.
Depends... very simple things should be ok. There is a rules page plugin you could use, or you could just create a .html file and put a link on your forums to that.
what exactly could it depend on?
a more detailed question: as an example, i have changed my header template to pull up logo.jpg as the main logo instead of logo.gif
when i update to 1.4.1 will that switch back to logo.gif (or whatever the address is for the new logo) or will it still point to my custom logo - logo.jpg?
Well when you go from 1.2.x to 1.4.x you should really just delete all files and upload the new ones, so you'd just have to upload your custom logo again and just tell the forum to use that instead.

Well like I said, you could create your custom pages again if they're simple, using HTML, call the file rules.html or something, and put a link on your forum to that.
Pages: 1 2