MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: User Activity ratios research
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings fellow Webslaves!
I'm interested in getting information about user to member ratios relative to subject matter.
My very INFORMAL results to date show that results are similar to MYBB:
My criteria has been to look at *maximum* online figures as a percentage of *registered* users.
Seems to be in general around 2% so far.
I've posted a poll which might help shed some light on things and it would be nice for you to add even "foreign" BBS stats as you wander around the Cyberbog. You might find some bigger base numbers Big Grin
However, I'm not sure at all if the bigger base does have a major impact on the ratios.......

Cheers!

BTW: I'm also looking at responsiveness separately and trying to get some idea of performance relativity - very difficult with all the ponderables! Confused
However, MYBBS does seem to be very quick in my limited test comparison.
Well I only have 7 members (one being me, one being my friend's test account) and all 6 members are active and we get about 200 posts per day.
So that's what.. 85%? Big Grin
Well, I guess I should have created some more specific limits, then? :-)
Like most "statistics" one needs to be circumspect, but I was thinking in terms of "some thousands" of members or at least visitors.

My own experience goes back to the last century. In 1984 I operated one of the early public BB services in the world. It ran on a single dial-up phone line initially and the Baud rate (connection speed) from memory was 75/1200. Av. today is prob. 128,000/256000.
The big complaint was always about people hogging the connection "posting junk no one really wants to know". We used to limit online time to 15 minutes per user.
It was all text messaging ...... hmmmn, we seem to have gone in a circle... all those kids thumbing away there again, today ......... :-)

So, if anyone else is reading this, we do need a bit of a base. Maybe min. 1000?
Don't forget, you can help by collecting stats from other Boards.
".............. and all 6 members are active and we get about 200 posts per day."

I just registered this. What on earth do you find to post about? 200/6 = 30+ each! :-)

Of course, even on Boards with zillions of members, the top posters are very few and post so many messages it makes me wonder when they sleep - and if any of them have to make a living.

Cheers!
Back to work he goes... :-(
No 50% ratio?
There are many factors to make it difficult to make a judgement.
For example:
- the online time (last 5 minutes? 15 minutes?)
- is "most online" representative of activity?
- different boards may have different incentives when it comes to user registration. For example, a support forum tends to have a lot of people signup, ask a question then never return, or may attract a lot of guests who view the forums but never post.

Forums which force registration will usually have a high user:most online ratio, whereas those which are completely open will obviously have a lower ratio.