MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SMTP through cURL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think this was a question with 1.2.14. On This thread people started talking about using cURL to bypass the fsockopen error that people may experience with free hosting services.
I'm using 987mb.com for my hosting services and I tried the SMTP mod with 1.2.14 and all I got was errors on the pages when it tried to send mail. I posted on the thread above and you guys said that cURL might work.
Here is what I found in a PHP info page that I though might be important in figuring this out.
Quote:curl
CURL support enabled
CURL Information libcurl/7.13.2 OpenSSL/0.9.7e zlib/1.2.2 libidn/0.5.13
And
Quote:Disabled functions: system,exec,curl_setopt,curl_init,curl_close,curl_exec,shell_exec, etc.
You can view my full PHP info page here
Are you using MyBB 1.2.14 or MyBB 1.4? MyBB 1.4 has SMTP support. Have you tried it?
(2008-08-09, 05:18 AM)DennisTT Wrote: [ -> ]Are you using MyBB 1.2.14 or MyBB 1.4? MyBB 1.4 has SMTP support. Have you tried it?

No, I haven't because I figured it would be going through fsockopen which is blocked on my host.
I'll try it and see how it works.

I didn't get any errors, but I didn't get any email either.
The SMTP provider doesn't show that any message was sent.
Ah, didn't look in logs. However, it didn't help much
Quote:Unable to connect to the mail server with the given details.<br /><br />:
I copied the information for the server from Thunderbird, which connects just fine.
I entered the server name as my.inbox.com, does there need to be anything in front of that (http://?)?
I'm pretty sure it's impossible to do SMTP with the PHP cURL extension... I dunno where LeX- in the other thread got that idea. :p

(2008-08-10, 05:25 AM)danrulz98 Wrote: [ -> ]No, I haven't because I figured it would be going through fsockopen which is blocked on my host.

That's correct, MyBB's SMTP code uses fsockopen.