MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB's Community Version: Socialize!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering if we could have a Community version of MyBB. What would the community version be and what does it mean and do? Look below for more details:

What? What is the MyBB Community Version?

Basically put, MyBB Community version is a community version of MyBB compared to the original version which has far less features than what we could expect in the Community version. The Community version is more based on providing the base for every social network or any community that seeks to provide such communities of a 'socializing' and 'interconnecting' nature.

What? How does it serve it's purpose?

Well, here are some features we may want to have:
  • Tag Clouds & Friend Clouds

Tag Clouds are pretty obvious as to what it should be and what for. So as for friend clouds, they're to interconnect a friend to another like what a social network should do and they help to interconnect threads. (more in "Connect To A Thread")

• Thread Nature & Discipline

Thread Nature helps to let a user quickly choose from a list of what the nature of the thread should be. For example, select from a list of nature:

-Question
    -Answer

This feature "Thread Nature" helps to quickly let one understand what the nature of the thread is. Another feature would be the Thread Discipline which is specifically for everyone to use. Look out at this example for the discipline selection list:

-Add To My Favourites! (other actions is possible..)
    -Write A: Note/Comment/Warning to Creator/Moderator/Myself.

Yeah, that's not just it, definitely, there can be more!

• Connect To A Thread

Connect To A Thread? What's this? It helps to connect a thread to another thread apart from the usual "This could be similar to..." Connect To A Thread could be based on different natures as in 'User Based' which is based on ratings or submissions which are both the same in a certain angle. And this feature could base the thread connectivity off certain factors which the administrator could customize himself.

• Groups/ Clans/ Teams

What? This again? Nuh, it's not the average one you can find around. MyBB Community is exceptionally good. Yes, it has to! Well, this is all about creating a specific 'User Group' for a purpose based on different factors like:

-A Game Clan in a game would create a Clan Groupif the community/forum is based on gaming.
    -A Group would create a group based on a certain cause for a specific forum/community for a cause.
    -Teams can be created for the Olympics if the community/forum is based on the olympics!

• Intuitive User Profiles

What? Yes it's a User Profile that can be editted accordingly to the user's wants. If you own this profile, sure, we'll let you edit it to your own liking provided you follow a certain format or size. Yeah, you can use your own HTML for sure!

• Advanced Buddy & Social System

Yes, you can make buddies finally, make friends and find your classmates if they're around. Yeah, of course, invite some too! If not, invite families if they're not enough and we'll make the best group or clan on this forum and dominate em all!

• Initiated Galleries

Galleries based on Lightbox or any simply light galleries for artists if your a art based community. And what's more? Read below!

Want this feature? Vote for this feature/package and MyBB will allow this and we'll get started! Who is gonna do all this work? Simply put, if MyBB allows this, hopefully they get this word around and we'll get everyone to help out! Yes, even illiterate coders can do something, which is to design some gfx!

Hmm, this package can be integrated with MyBB if they are willing to build a Community version of MyBB. Otherwise, it'll just be an external application that is based on MyBB. Key features are: "Make life simple for users and coders!"
It's called plugins Wink. Many of these features have been asked for before and the staff says they will be sticking to a forum not a social networking script.
Yha i dont see the point of it. I like MyBB. If they started working on something else they would get away from the forum. so i vote no.
Tag clouds: yay!
Friend clouds: huh?

Thread nature: plugin
Connect to a thread: 'Similar Threads' plugin (or is it already a core feature?)

Groups/clans/teams: don't really like this, not all forums will use this, maybe as a plugin

Intuitive user profiles: it's going to be really awesome or really, really, really crap (think myspace)

Here's a suggestion: user profiles like IPB or vB. I love the IPB user profiles ^^
While I can see where you're going with this, the MyBB Group doesn't want to maintain two versions of their forum software.

Most of what you want should be implemented as plugins. Only features which 75% or more of sites will use should make it into the core.

Tag Clouds: I saw a plugin for this for MyBB 1.2, but don't know if it was updated for 1.4
Friend Cloud: Kind of a cool feature, but I'd make it a web instead of a cloud
Thread Nature: do a search on Thread Prefix
Alright i see, now i'm going to venture into creating mods and hopefully come up with hosting MyBB Packages and giving support for free.
You should explore what mybb already does and what plugins are available before making a wish list.