MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Changing Usernames
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2008-11-15, 06:20 PM)seeker Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-11-15, 05:56 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]I've just tested and it'll need a further query.

UPDATE `mybb_posts` SET `username` = 'NEWUSERNAME' WHERE `username` = 'OLDUSERNAME'

And then a Recount & Rebuild in the ACP. At least that's what I had to do twice.

Perfect, thanks Smile

Good to hear! Smile
(2008-11-15, 06:02 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]I think that'll create errors as that username will already be registered.

It does? Oh I didn't know that.
(2008-11-15, 06:24 PM)GrimReaper Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-11-15, 06:02 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]I think that'll create errors as that username will already be registered.

Well as it'd be in the database in the users table, setting it in the ACP again would probably say it already exists.

EDIT: Seeker, I just realised something - there are other tables with a username column, there's users, posts, threads, and forums. It might be easier to take what GrimReaper said a bit further - in the ACP, change their name to something else, and then back to what they want it, and this should update everything.
(2008-08-13, 12:44 PM)azcoyote Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-08-13, 06:09 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]Commas are disallow in MyBB's registrations since 1.4 because of this issue - You'll need to remove this comma from his username.

Yes, thats the problem. 1.4 won't let me do that.

How so? You should be able to simply go into your ACP, click on his username and remove the characters that aren't allowed.
(2008-11-16, 09:03 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]How so? You should be able to simply go into your ACP, click on his username and remove the characters that aren't allowed.

Nope. Read my original post.
So when you try and change the name it say the email is in use?? Even when you're editing the user with that address??
(2008-11-15, 06:45 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-11-15, 06:24 PM)GrimReaper Wrote: [ -> ]

Well as it'd be in the database in the users table, setting it in the ACP again would probably say it already exists.

EDIT: Seeker, I just realised something - there are other tables with a username column, there's users, posts, threads, and forums. It might be easier to take what GrimReaper said a bit further - in the ACP, change their name to something else, and then back to what they want it, and this should update everything.

Hi Matt thanks for helping,

This thread was similar to what I needed, so I didn't bother with details:

* I'm trying to get all my experimental test forums to have the same usernames and user ids
* If the (friend or family member) has no posts, then it's really easy to change.
* The ones with active threads are a concern.
* Making changes in just the user and post tables >> then doing a recount and rebuild, 'automatically' updated the threads table with the new (unique) user id for the thread starter. Smile
* 'Forums' table has the usernames just for last poster, so that shouldn't be a big problem.

I hope I'm not setting up to have a corrupt db later on?
It seems good for now.

EDIT:
FYI: The forums table did not update 'automatically' (related to last post), the threads table did 'self-repair'. If I have any problems later at least I know it's with the first 28 user names and ID's. Blush
(2008-11-16, 04:19 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]So when you try and change the name it say the email is in use?? Even when you're editing the user with that address??

Exactly. It never did that before 1.4. I fixed the username with the database query.
Well it shouldn't do that, are you sure your browser didn't input your email address that it may have remembered??
(2008-11-16, 01:48 PM)azcoyote Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-11-16, 09:03 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]How so? You should be able to simply go into your ACP, click on his username and remove the characters that aren't allowed.

Nope. Read my original post.

Then change it to something else.
Pages: 1 2 3