MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: upgrading from 1.2 to 1.4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, I have read the wiki entry on the upgrade process (Im trying to go from 1.2 to 1.4), but some of it does not make sense to me. In step 2, the instructions are:

"Upload ALL of the files and folders in the "Upload" folder including the install folder, overwriting the existing copies (this contains the upgrade files also) to your forums root directory."

Now, if I follow this to the tee, won't this then overwrite all my existing user uploads, avatars, and all my plugins. I realize in the case of plugins that some may not work with 1.4, but all other answers on this board seem to inidcate that upgrading should not lose the other assets. I don't see how you can get those assets back into 1.4 (unless of course I restore them from my 1.2 backup manually, but this is not mentioned anywhere that I can see). Do you mean to say that the directories should not be RECURSIVELY overwritten? Meaning, if I have say user uploaded images in the "/uploads" directory, that I should not then recursively overwrite this folder with the empty 1.4 folder of the same name?

Ive also ran into a major problem during the upgrade. Ive piggybacked another post here as they had the same issue regarding the screen gettign stuck at "Performing Queries". It just sits there indefinately, and refreshing the page doesnt do anything either.

Mike
If the avitar's/plugins/ect are not present in the 1.4 files then your FTP program shouldn't overwrite them. FileZilla doesn't atleast.

For example:
say you have a directory called example and in it you already have test.jpg and example.php and you upload a directory called example containing a new example.php it should sense that the example directory already exists then upload the stuff into that directory rather than deleting the directory and its content then recreating it. So that test.jpg file will still be there, only the example.php file will be overwritten.
This may be the case with very old FTP programs but new ones will merge them together so as to only update the files within the directory instead of clearing them out all together.
filezilla is good to use
CuteFTP is also another one, I use SMartFTP but since they are now paid with a 30 day free trial I suggest cuteFTP.