MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Which is a better solution?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi :-)

First off, I love MyBB and am 98% sure that I will be using it on my site, and maybe even making a few mods for it.

I also know that I will need to integrate my forum with my site. The users will also have interactions that take place outside of the forum, and "credits" that represent what they've done on the site.

This brought me to the question:
Would I be better off building my own registration process / user database and then configuring MyBB to work with that, or should I use the already created / tested / strong crux of MyBB, and then work the site to use that user data table.

I don't have enough experience with MyBB to be able to answer that. According to a tutorial, I'll be able to use MyBB to maintain state by including global.php. What all does this load up? Is there a better way to integrate? How much information about the current user will this provide me with? And does global.php output anything if I'm outside of the forum... or (holds breath) cause an error?

Thanks, I'd love to hear your opinions.
-Eric
Including global.php should make all the MYBB functions and classes available to you so in theory you should be able to access all of the user information.

You could alternatively make your site read the MYBB database for user information and make it so they register through MYBB.

If you want a premade solution MkPortal is quite extensive and integrates with MYBB so maybe that will do what your after.
If you haven't created your website yet, I highly suggest using MyBB's user table. You will have much more difficulty trying to make MyBB work with your own user table.
Thanks Smile

I will seriously consider working with MyBB's user table.... largely, it doesn't make sense to rewrite everything, then spend the time to make my stuff work with my forum's stuff.

And can you give me a bit more information about MkPortal? Their website is somewhat confusing.... does it still allow me to fill in my own source code, etc?
It is open source so you can modify it how you want. It is like a content management system with alot of modules that integrates with MYBB. I use it in the website in my sig if you want a demo but i have a few of the modules disabled so there are more features than what i have there.
Looks good. Do I have to use their themes, or can I make it work with a web design I have picked out? And they allow me to use my own source code.... right?
I suggest you take a look at the MKPortal forum for MKPortal-related questions Smile
http://www.mkportal.it/support/index.php
Haha thanks / sorry.

Anyways I just installed a test of 1.4... I love it! It has all of the functionality of a heavily modded SMF or phpBB forum by default!
If you are good at html/css you should have no problems making a theme that matches that one for MkPortal. It has a theme system similar to MYBB's (just not as good Toungue)