MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tired of the same old forum theme
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it just me or is everyone getting tired of the same old theme structure for every forum out there? I will be on a mission to create one that is so unique that it will create a want for people to use my forum rather than my competitions standard boring layout.

My idea comes around how Blogs are setup with the comments below. The first post is ALWAYS the main post. Then below still have the standard structure, but make them seem not as important in a way.

http://www.vimeo.com/forums
I found the above site that is similar to my thought, but not exact. But, when I'm done, I'll post up the main files that will give you all the look.

Again, is it just me or is everyone else getting sick and tired of the same old forum structure and how they look?
Actually, I like them just fine. No need to poop in a clean river :/
You can modify MyBB and such to look like that. You've just got to work a little bit.
I fail to see how the link you posted and the "same old theme structure" are different. Are you saying you want to do away with 1px borders or thread pages? Big Grin
Why not just use the drupal forum then. I mean the link you gave makes me think you just want a basic forum that works more like a commenting system(drupals).
hmm I must say I agree with phocis850. The same old layout is boring.

With css and html rearranging you can achieve the same result in MyBB. But the problem is you would have to rewrite many templates. As a result of all that any future theme updates will be very hard.

But if you have the will and knowledge, go ahead and create something different and stunning.
Yes, use more of a commenting type structure. After viewing what Drupals forum is setup, it's not any different that the layout of this forum.

The main thing I like about Vimeo's layout is that the forums are on the left and the topics are listed inside those forums. But if you take it in my perspective it's like this... The categories are on the left, the blog posts are in those categories, and the blogs are the first post, then the replies are the comments. It's more setup as a blog community than just a standard forum.

I hope that makes sense.

And Ooka, not everyone has your same viewpoint. I've seen the same layout in forums since the inception of a "forum". The forum software has progressed, but the basic structures of forums have been at a stand still since their inception.
So you want a blog and not a forum? I'm so confused.
I have no idea what you said. Drupals system is exactly like a commenting system once you get to thread view.Wink

But as said before your not limited to what you have it will just require work from your side.

And maybe a blog kind of set up is what your looking for Toungue.