MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MKPortal Update for MyBB 1.4!!! [Beta]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good news from the geniuses at MKPortal! If you use MKPortal (C series) in conjunction with your MyBB 1.2 installation, you probably know by now that the MKPortal is NOT compatible with MyBB 1.4

Well, if you're been agonizing over this (like I have) and you haven't upgraded to 1.4 for this reason, then this will be music to your ears...

Kimi, GregB, and Visiblesoul have developed their first unofficial hack for MKPortal C -> MyBB 1.4

Here's the thread: http://www.mkportal.it/support/showthread.php?t=28448

THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL RELEASE! IT'S STILL IN BETA!!

I can personally attest that this hack works (and it works VERY well) You're welcome to check it out at my site: http://www.hauntedparanormal.com

You have to edit some core MKPortal files, and the whole process will take about 30 minutes. Before you attempt to upgrade, you should keep the following points in mind:
  • This is a BETA, UNOFFICIAL hack release. You should NOT attempt to do this on a production site!
  • Backup your forum AND your MKPortal installation AND your database
  • Allow approx. 30 minutes for this
  • If you want to display your forum inside your MKPortal install, you need to do that little hack that you first did when you installed MKPortal for MyBB (see the "readme.htm" file in the MKPortal install package) It's a simple 1-file, 1-edit hack.
  • So far everything seems to work for me, the only thing that changed for me was a slight problem with missing "buddy_online/offline" gif files which I had to make (not a big deal)
  • If you use AJAX Chat for MyBB in conjunction with this software, you'll need to make some edits to the config file of your chat software. You'll need to manually edit the DB information to the config file. I'll post the details about this in a little bit.

Remember: MAKE BACKUPS OF EVERYTHING!!! Just because this hack has worked VERY WELL for me and everyone else that's tried it (seemingly... haven't seen a complaint about it yet), doesn't mean it won't work for you!

If you need help with this, reply here and I'll try my best to walk you through it, but you'd be better off posting your question @ MKPortal in the threadlink above.

Good luck and enjoy!

~Haunted Brian
I used it when it was first released and it works fine.

See sig Wink
(2008-08-16, 07:37 PM)HauntedPRS Wrote: [ -> ]Good news from the geniuses at MKPortal! If you use MKPortal (C series) in conjunction with your MyBB 1.2 installation, you probably know by now that the MKPortal is NOT compatible with MyBB 1.4

Well, if you're been agonizing over this (like I have) and you haven't upgraded to 1.4 for this reason, then this will be music to your ears...

Kimi, GregB, and Visiblesoul have developed their first unofficial hack for MKPortal C -> MyBB 1.4

I can personally attest that this hack works (and it works VERY well) You're welcome to check it out at my site: http://www.hauntedparanormal.com

You have to edit some core MKPortal files, and the whole process will take about 30 minutes. Before you attempt to upgrade, you should keep the following points in mind:
  • This is a BETA, UNOFFICIAL hack release. You should NOT attempt to do this on a production site!
  • If you want to display your forum inside your MKPortal install, you need to do that little hack that you first did when you installed MKPortal for MyBB (see the "readme.htm" file in the MKPortal install package) It's a simple 1-file, 1-edit hack.
  • So far everything seems to work for me, the only thing that changed for me was a slight problem with missing "buddy_online/offline" gif files which I had to make (not a big deal)
  • If you use AJAX Chat for MyBB in conjunction with this software, you'll need to make some edits to the config file of your chat software. You'll need to manually edit the DB information to the config file. I'll post the details about this in a little bit.

Remember: MAKE BACKUPS OF EVERYTHING!!! Just because this hack has worked VERY WELL for me and everyone else that's tried it (seemingly... haven't seen a complaint about it yet), doesn't mean it won't work for you!

If you need help with this, reply here and I'll try my best to walk you through it, but you'd be better off posting your question @ MKPortal in the threadlink above.

Good luck and enjoy!

~Haunted Brian

Hello, Haunted Brian!

First props to Kimi, GregB, and yourself over @ the mkportal forum for all of the work that has gone into these modifications! In addition, many thanks for your comments as well as the post over there and here.

First apologies all around to my friends here at the WONDERFUL MyBB team as truly this post should not be here, but rather over with Kimi's [Hack] thread at mkportal. So admins and moderators alike, please cut me a bit of slack, for the only reason for me not to post over at the (correct forum - mkportal) is that I know I have done nothing wrong (or perhaps right either...) but that thread (heck the entire forum) does not seem to be locked and I have been a member for some time, yet I have no permissions allowing me to do anything but read threads over there. (BTW, please PM me if you know how or what I must do to gain permissions on their board; I would be forever grateful too!)

I have several rather simple questions that I know not what to do but post here and ask you (God I hope I am not going to get in trouble for posting in this thread; for I value this project, its members and the entire community here!)

Simply put, I have 2 hopefully easy questions:

1) My install of the [hack] for MyBB went flawlessly (once I ran through every directory and changed all of my htaccess.txt's to > .htaccess - its an annoying host thing...) but I seem to have no permission to do anything within mkportal even as the only administrator - and there seems to be no one else mentioning such a situation with their successful installs of this brilliant hack. Would you have any ideas regarding the subject?

2) Additionally, there is no mention anywhere I could find throughout that thread that refers to whether or not one can and/or should follow through with the c121 to c122 update/upgrade patch. Can you tell me if this is something that one should go ahead and do, assuming one uses common sense and follows the directions (along with being certain to NOT upload either the noted files as directed in the upgrade package; as well as to be certain that any of the edits made for the [Hack] are not changed or destroyed?)

Please, my apologies to everyone here if this crosses the line, I know this is not the place for this, but if you (or anyone) would PM me if and when you have a free moment, (hopefully with what would seem to be these two simple questions) I would be more than happy to prune my post from this thread and might add that if you have access to posting in Kimi's thread over at the mkportal forum (or any of the forum for that matter, that would be the place for this sort of info...) I'll let you be the judge and will follow whatever appropriate moral and ethical boundaries in order to satisfy EVERYONE not only here at my beloved MyBB forum and community, but over at the mkportal forum as well - assuming I can ever figure out why and/or how to have my permissions changed over there.

Please, if you or others have the time, PM me, as I am not in a hurry so much as I DO NOT want to upset anyone at either community for which without the wonderful contributions of all involved; well let me just say that with so many negative things out on the WWW these days, I value and treasure what the MyBB team has worked tirelessly to achieve and freely distribute as well as the community at the mkportal project.

As a final note, to the custodians of the MyBB forum, please take action to delete my post if you find it inappropriate or in some violation, but I beg of you not to take action against myself as my post here has absolutely NO MALICE or any other negative intentions whatsoever. I do not know what I would do without the support and generosity of the entire community here!

Many thanks to all involved and I hope to hear from you or anyone else with any helpful data for me soon, one way or another.

Kind regards,
FILM_ROX
(2010-01-15, 03:53 PM)FILM_ROX Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-08-16, 07:37 PM)HauntedPRS Wrote: [ -> ]Good news from the geniuses at MKPortal! If you use MKPortal (C series) in conjunction with your MyBB 1.2 installation, you probably know by now that the MKPortal is NOT compatible with MyBB 1.4

Good luck and enjoy!

~Haunted Brian

Hello, Haunted Brian!

First props to Kimi, GregB, and yourself over @ the mkportal forum for all of the work that has gone into these modifications! In addition, many thanks for your comments as well as the post over there and here.

First apologies all around to my friends here at the WONDERFUL MyBB team as truly this post should not be here, but rather over with Kimi's [Hack] thread at mkportal. So admins and moderators alike, please cut me a bit of slack, for the only reason for me not to post over at the (correct forum - mkportal) is that I know I have done nothing wrong (or perhaps right either...) but that thread (heck the entire forum) does not seem to be locked and I have been a member for some time, yet I have no permissions allowing me to do anything but read threads over there. (BTW, please PM me if you know how or what I must do to gain permissions on their board; I would be forever grateful too!)

I have several rather simple questions that I know not what to do but post here and ask you (God I hope I am not going to get in trouble for posting in this thread; for I value this project, its members and the entire community here!)

Simply put, I have 2 hopefully easy questions:

1) My install of the [hack] for MyBB went flawlessly (once I ran through every directory and changed all of my htaccess.txt's to > .htaccess - its an annoying host thing...) but I seem to have no permission to do anything within mkportal even as the only administrator - and there seems to be no one else mentioning such a situation with their successful installs of this brilliant hack. Would you have any ideas regarding the subject?

2) Additionally, there is no mention anywhere I could find throughout that thread that refers to whether or not one can and/or should follow through with the c121 to c122 update/upgrade patch. Can you tell me if this is something that one should go ahead and do, assuming one uses common sense and follows the directions (along with being certain to NOT upload either the noted files as directed in the upgrade package; as well as to be certain that any of the edits made for the [Hack] are not changed or destroyed?)

Please, my apologies to everyone here if this crosses the line, I know this is not the place for this, but if you (or anyone) would PM me if and when you have a free moment, (hopefully with what would seem to be these two simple questions) I would be more than happy to prune my post from this thread and might add that if you have access to posting in Kimi's thread over at the mkportal forum (or any of the forum for that matter, that would be the place for this sort of info...) I'll let you be the judge and will follow whatever appropriate moral and ethical boundaries in order to satisfy EVERYONE not only here at my beloved MyBB forum and community, but over at the mkportal forum as well - assuming I can ever figure out why and/or how to have my permissions changed over there.

Please, if you or others have the time, PM me, as I am not in a hurry so much as I DO NOT want to upset anyone at either community for which without the wonderful contributions of all involved; well let me just say that with so many negative things out on the WWW these days, I value and treasure what the MyBB team has worked tirelessly to achieve and freely distribute as well as the community at the mkportal project.

As a final note, to the custodians of the MyBB forum, please take action to delete my post if you find it inappropriate or in some violation, but I beg of you not to take action against myself as my post here has absolutely NO MALICE or any other negative intentions whatsoever. I do not know what I would do without the support and generosity of the entire community here!

Many thanks to all involved and I hope to hear from you or anyone else with any helpful data for me soon, one way or another.

Kind regards,
FILM_ROX

TL;DR
OH THE IRONY, i must register to download mkportal but registrations are disabled
OH THE IRONY x 2, i got a username in the forum, but when i access downloads i get this error
Sorry
This module is not active

oh wait....
http://www.mkportal.it/support/showthrea...post166838

Quote:We regret to inform all of our friends and members that MkPortal Support Community will be closing on October 30, 2009 due to the lack of development coders for our product. Over the next days, the support teams will continue to provide support for the current revision of MKPortal C1.2 .

We would like to thank you for being a part of our MKPortal Community and tell you how much we have enjoyed having you.

Ciao, till we meet again.

Meo and the MkPortal Support Teams.
Thanks, "Glas" - while I was aware of the project being "shutdown" it really isn't if you head over there and look, they (or some of the dev. team) have had some sort of change of heart and indeed are working on a new release.

While I was fully aware of that post in addition to the next conflicting post about continued development, it never dawned on me that the "shutdown" was the reason for mine and perhaps everyone's forum privileges being revoked.

Thanks for stating what should have been obvious to me.

To everyone else concerned, I will leave thees two posts up for a short time in an attempt to receive some sort of help from a community member that can answer my (likely) simplistic two questions. If there is a lack of response within the thread and no PM's, I will prune the thread of my posts and forge ahead blindly.

I thank you for posting. If you require the release packages, C121 and the update c121>C122_upgrade. I have them both and the C121 [HACK] posted on their forums does work - the issue(s) I am having very easily could be my own simple mistakes or the fact that this is the first time for me to attempt an install of MKPortal with MyBB (and I use nothing BUT MyBB; as it is the premier solution!)

If you require the releases in their pre-shutdown form, please contact me. They are UNMODIFIED and you would have to refer to the [HACK] referenced above if you were to attempt to integrate it with MyBB.

I think it is within the lisence/EULA agreement that redistribution of the files UNALTERED is NOT in violation of the EULA; so if you are in need, PM me and I will hook you up, say via setting up one of our anonymous ftp accounts at the domain for YOU to download them in their UNMODIFIED form. (I don't think I should be in the biz of continually redistributing them as I personally think at minimum that would be in "spirit" or ethically against what the dev's at MkPortal have done and are trying to accomplish for the future...)

Thank you for your help - sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees in front of me (referring to why I could not post to that thread over at the MKPortal forum...) Blush

Kind regards,
FILM_ROX