MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advanced Forum Permissions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm attaching a screenshot of the forum permissions that I'm having a problem with... In the root category, I manually configured all groups (including administrative ones) to absolutely no access. Within the subforums, I gave custom permissions to allow the certain groups to have access to some private forums. The problem is that MyBBoard displays all my permissions correctly in the admin panel, but they are enforced incorrectly... I have no access to these forums (not even manually entering what the url to the forums should be)! I would appreciate this getting fixed. (fyi... all approved groups have full access)
Quote: I manually configured all groups (including administrative ones) to absolutely no access.
Thats why then.

Based on forum inheritance, all groups who are supposed to see the sub forums also need to be allowed to see the parent forum.

Try setting that and let me know your results.
I had to do that to get around the problem. Why would this matter though? The groups should at least have access to enter the url in the address bar if theyre only given access to the sub ones. :|
Because the board would think, based on the user viewing, that the subs don't have parent forums thus not having parent permissions and then it would get confused about what permissions the sub actually has because the forum table is reflecting a parent forum with set permissions while the front-end would reflect otherwise.

Confused? Me too. Toungue
Not to be a pain... but I think andyl56's idea is the correct way to have it. If the user/usergroup permissions worked the same way the forum permissions currently work it would mean that if I (as a user) had permission to post but my usergroup did not have permission to post I wouldn't be allowed to post. This subject is a bit confusing but usually the closest permission (e.g. if it was a sub-sub-sub-sub forum the closest permission would be the sub-sub-sub-sub forum's permission settings) would be the deciding permission.
Okay, going off what Andy said then.. and if we had a setup like

Category
- Forum 1

The permissions of category were set to cannot view. The permissions of forum 1 were set to can view.

How is forum 1 supposed to be shown on the index whilst Category is supposed to be visisible?
It wouldn't be shown. The URL would have to be manually linked to from somewhere else.
Process permissions in forum order...

Category -> Sub -> Sub sub -> sub sub sub -> sub sub sub sub

As you go through the list like this, every time custom permissions is used, all subforums of that would use it's permissions... example

Level 1 - Custom Perms
Level 2 - Inherited
Level 3 - Inherited
Level 4 - Custom
Level 5 - Inherited

Level 1 would use level 1's... level 2 and 3 would use Level 1, Level 4 and 5 would both use level 4... this may seem confusing but this is probably the easiest way to explain it.