MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I cannot get the email function to work correctly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, I have been running a MyBB forum for about 3 months now and I have been unable to get the "send user an email" function to work. I searched the forums for help and I found a link to test send an email via php and it failed. Does that mean I need to reinstall php (currently using version 5.2.6)? The error that I find in Tools and Maint-->System Email Log is: Unable to connect to the mail server with the given details.<br /><br />26258504: Unable to find the socket transport "ssl" - did you forget to enable it when you configured PHP?

PHP: 5.2.6
MyBB: 1.41
My server sits behind a router, which makes me wonder if I need to forward a port?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Oh Your using gmail to send our mail out. nice
But, Your send mail path is no value.
I am not sure about Windows and How your running but I do think you should read over a few tutorials about setting up mail on a Windows based OS. and the router port your using should be forwarded. OR It prob getting blocked by the router and getting sent back our out into nothing.
(2008-08-19, 06:43 PM)Deathstarr Wrote: [ -> ]Oh Your using gmail to send our mail out. nice
But, Your send mail path is no value.
I am not sure about Windows and How your running but I do think you should read over a few tutorials about setting up mail on a Windows based OS. and the router port your using should be forwarded. OR It prob getting blocked by the router and getting sent back our out into nothing.

Thanks for the quick reply Deathstarr. I the "send mail path" is blank because in php.ini there was a note that sendmail_path is for UNIX users only.
You could use SMTP and set up an SMTP server on your computer.
http://www.hmailserver.com/
(2008-08-19, 07:17 PM)danrulz98 Wrote: [ -> ]You could use SMTP and set up an SMTP server on your computer.

I am currently using Gmail's SMTP server which, aside from MyBB forum mail not working, is awesome. What advantage does hmailserver provide? Also, I installed hmailserver yesterday and played around with it for about four hours (plus searching their forums) and I was unable to get it to work. The more I read, the more convinced I am that my problem lies in the php.ini file. Are there any php experts that can tell me what I have done wrong? I attached a copy of my php.ini (minus sensitive info) to help.
(2008-08-19, 07:30 PM)Chrion Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-08-19, 07:17 PM)danrulz98 Wrote: [ -> ]You could use SMTP and set up an SMTP server on your computer.

I am currently using Gmail's SMTP server which, aside from MyBB forum mail not working, is awesome. What advantage does hmailserver provide? Also, I installed hmailserver yesterday and played around with it for about four hours (plus searching their forums) and I was unable to get it to work. The more I read, the more convinced I am that my problem lies in the php.ini file. Are there any php experts that can tell me what I have done wrong? I attached a copy of my php.ini (minus sensitive info) to help.

I was just thinking it might make a difference if you were sending from localhost instead of an external server.
Just an observation, I have SMTP mail selected in my board settings, however I am getting a PHP error. Is this usual?

Unable to connect to the mail server with the given details.<br /><br />26258728: Unable to find the socket transport "tls" - did you forget to enable it when you configured PHP?
*Update*

I have done some additional research and it seems that the php_openssl.dll module is not loading. If anyone has any experience getting openssl to work on a Win2003 box, I would appreciate any pointers.
Hello, you and me about the problems encountered, the use of gmail send a message, you should set security encryption for tls, and ports should be 587, at the same time make sure that your gmail has opened the corresponding function, then we should open the php.ini openssl expansion
But to do so, I still get the wrong:
"Unable to connect to the mail server with the given details.<br /><br />0: "

But you seem to remind me, perhaps, need to open port in router
There is also a problem, I would like to ask you, in 2003 iis6 the isapi mode, the system should be set in the windows directory loading php.ini, but it is in your php directory, how can i do it?
teach me please
thanks a lot
I got it working. Here is a run down of what I did.

I had the mail handler set to 'SMTP Mail' and I was running into a frustrating problem with the tls and ssl sockets not registering. I could not get the openssl.dll module to load in the php.ini and it was driving me crazy. After messing with it for days, I gave up and walked away from it.

After a couple of weeks I came back to the problem and started again, this time with the mail handler set to 'PHP Mail'. I downloaded a SMTP server (ArgoSoft Mail Server - Freeware version) and I set that up. I edited the php.ini file to use the ArgoSoft server, I have been up and running since.

As we speak the Mass Mail function is sending out an email to all of my members alerting them to the good new. If anyone has any questions, or needs any help, let me know. I fought this problem for awhile and I would be happy to help out someone else.

My stats again:

Windows 2003
IIS 6.0
PHP 5.2.6
mySQL 1.2.12
MyBB 1.4.1
Pages: 1 2