MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Disappearing Posts?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My members are reporting posts disappearing, I can't think how? Nothing is in the Moderator Logs or no posts are Moderatorated...?! Help!

Forum: http://rovin.geekstep.com/forums

One of my members is saying they have a different forum (like ours) whereby the posts are still there.

Have we been hacked?!
(2008-08-20, 05:35 PM)Rovin Wrote: [ -> ]My members are reporting posts disappearing, I can't think how? Nothing is in the Moderator Logs or no posts are Moderatorated...?! Help!

Forum: http://rovin.geekstep.com/forums

Thanks.
-Rovin

Hello,
Have you moved forums around recently or have you moved threads from one forum to another recently? If not, perhaps your members are accidentally pruning the threads to only show the latest threads in the search options.

Are you able to provide any examples of how posts have disappeared?
I don't know why posts are disapearing. One option is the Mod CP, the logs it says one Moderator has removed a particular thread - but in my other Moderators, it says I have.

Is there an auto prune feature in MyBB?
(2008-08-20, 06:26 PM)Rovin Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know why posts are disapearing. One option is the Mod CP, the logs it says one Moderator has removed a particular thread - but in my other Moderators, it says I have.

Is there an auto prune feature in MyBB?

There is not a "Auto Prune" feature per say in MyBB, but there is an option that allows the Admin to choose a default view when someone visits a forum's thread listings page. These default views can limit the number of threads shown to the user by its date as well as other variables.

To see your forum's default view settings for a specific forum, please visit the following page in your AdminCP:

Admin CP > Forums & Posts > *Selected Problem Forum* > Edit Forum Settings > Scroll Down to Where You See "Default View Options"

See if some kind of date cutoff is enabled. If not, perhaps one of your users has his own personal settings with some kind of date cutoffs.

Please note, these datecutoffs should only affect the threads that are listed on the forumdisplay.php page. Even though a thread may not display on the forumdisplay.php pages, it has not neccesarily been deleted. It will still display if a user was to visit it's direct URL to the thread.
(2008-08-20, 06:31 PM)Kodaks Wrote: [ -> ]There is not a "Auto Prune" feature per say in MyBB, but there is an option that allows the Admin to choose a default view when someone visits a forum's thread listings page. These default views can limit the number of threads shown to the user by its date as well as other variables.

To see your forum's default view settings for a specific forum, please visit the following page in your AdminCP:

Admin CP > Forums & Posts > *Selected Problem Forum* > Edit Forum Settings > Scroll Down to Where You See "Default View Options"

See if some kind of date cutoff is enabled. If not, perhaps one of your users has his own personal settings with some kind of date cutoffs.

Please note, these datecutoffs should only affect the threads that are listed on the forumdisplay.php page. Even though a thread may not display on the forumdisplay.php pages, it has not neccesarily been deleted. It will still display if a user was to visit it's direct URL to the thread.

I tried that, all of the settings were "Board Default". All of my members are reporting this, not just one. Also, sometimes it can be an individual post not a whole thread...I'm really worried..
(2008-08-20, 06:35 PM)Rovin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-08-20, 06:31 PM)Kodaks Wrote: [ -> ]There is not a "Auto Prune" feature per say in MyBB, but there is an option that allows the Admin to choose a default view when someone visits a forum's thread listings page. These default views can limit the number of threads shown to the user by its date as well as other variables.

I tried that, all of the settings were "Board Default". All of my members are reporting this, not just one. Also, sometimes it can be an individual post not a whole thread...I'm really worried..

Hmm...I would first double check all the Admin Logs and Moderator Logs because it sounds like someone may be deleting this posts.

How long has this problem been happening for and how frequently? Also, did you or your webhost recently restore an older version of your website or database?

Without more information or examples, I can't help you any further I'm afraid. If you or your users are able to provide an exact thread or post that has been deleted, I may be able to investigate further.
(2008-08-20, 06:39 PM)Kodaks Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm...I would first double check all the Admin Logs and Moderator Logs because it sounds like someone may be deleting this posts.

How long has this problem been happening for and how frequently?

Without more information or examples, I can't help you any further I'm afraid. If you or your users are able to provide an exact thread or post that has been deleted, I may be able to investigate further.

It has been happening for about two days. Recently we've been hit by loads of spam members signing up about 15! Now I have disabled registration, which is the reason I was thinking we'd been hacked.

I'm a bit unsure of the Mod Logs because I've checked with my Moderators and theirs was completely different to mine...anyway I will look again..
(2008-08-20, 06:41 PM)Rovin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-08-20, 06:39 PM)Kodaks Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm...I would first double check all the Admin Logs and Moderator Logs because it sounds like someone may be deleting this posts.

How long has this problem been happening for and how frequently?

It has been happening for about two days. Recently we've been hit by loads of spam members signing up about 15! Now I have disabled registration, which is the reason I was thinking we'd been hacked.

I'm a bit unsure of the Mod Logs because I've checked with my Moderators and theirs was completely different to mine...anyway I will look again..

The Moderator Logs issues in itself is strange. If this problem persists, I would recommend temporarily removing all moderator powers from your users to see if this problem stops. Perhaps a disgruntled moderator is deleting these posts, but if so, the logs would have the answer as to who.

Also, are you using the very latest version of MyBB?
They might be able to delete the logs... or isn't that possible??

Maybe a user is deleting their own posts for some reason... did you give them permission to delete their own posts??
They can't delete their own posts, only edit them. Sad
Pages: 1 2