MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: People Making Generic or Unoriginal Forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This has been bothering me a lot lately, and to keep myself from exploding over it in the showcase forum I thought I'd make a thread about it here and see what you all think ...

Lately there has been a pretty large influx of MyBB boards being posted which seem to bring nothing new to the table. A lot of "general discussion" boards with no real draw (who wants to join an empty board of strangers to talk about general things?), or they are subjects that are already so well-covered that the only way you could garner any attention would be to do something unique, which these sites do not.

I understand the basic human desire to be in control of a project, but it seems more productive to reallocate your energy into creating a website about something unique than making a board just for the hell of it. Maybe it's just me, but I'll rarely join a board that doesn't have a site attached to it with subject matter I'm interested in.
Kids don't have much imagination these days. LoL.
Whatever floats their boat.
(2008-08-25, 08:12 AM)DennisTT Wrote: [ -> ]Whatever floats their boat.

It's easy to say this, but I think that good, strong, creative forums using MyBB is a key to MyBB's success. If it's just a bunch of wannabe videogame and general discussion boards ... that's not going to draw much attention to the software.
The idea isn't to draw attention to the software. The goal of MyBB is to provide a simple solution for making forums without paying for VB or IPB.
Quite honestly, I never paid attention to what software forums were using until I started using MyBB.
(2008-08-25, 08:50 AM)danrulz98 Wrote: [ -> ]Quite honestly, I never paid attention to what software forums were using until I started using MyBB.
That relates to me too.

I too see the uselessness of some of the forums, hell, mine included. It's only really aimed at my brother's friends who would normally email each other the junk they talk about on the forums. It's only relevant to us, and we like it.
I don't think I'll ever have forums that serve an actual purpose again.
I find I can't commit to just one forum genre. I get too bored, distracted etc. and spam tends to develop in my posts.
Mutual online friends (who may or may not have a mutual interest in a certain thing other than silliness) who want an online playground independent from social networks.

's my story anyways.
If your goal from the get-go is to have a small, somewhat private board, then that's fine if that's your purpose. The problem is when people make generic boards and expect them to grow by virtue of existing.
(2008-08-25, 05:35 PM)Tamer Brad Wrote: [ -> ]If your goal from the get-go is to have a small, somewhat private board, then that's fine if that's your purpose. The problem is when people make generic boards and expect them to grow by virtue of existing.

Well there isn't much you can do any more. There are so many forums now that well pretty much all the great/amazing ideas have been taken until something new comes out(breakthough tech, show, movie, game) your limited.
Pages: 1 2