MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My New Project (A MyBB Case Study)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone,
I set out a couple of months ago to build a website with the MyBB Forum Software. The only thing is - I didn't want a forum on my website.

I wanted to show how scalable and adaptable MyBB truly is for anyone's website needs. After a few months of work (with still quite a bit to due), I am still amazed at how easy MyBB can be tailored to fit any solution.

I've been a devoted member of MyBB since October of 2004 (I think it was right around the time of RC2), and I've always known how powerful a script this is. Over time it has grown more and more powerful and useful, and I know it has a lot more life in it left to evolve.

In my partnership with my local newspaper and three local radio stations, I am working on a website that is a directory of local coupons and deals for small businesses in my area (The Bluewater Area in Michigan, USA). I've used MyBB almost entirely as the website's script and have changed almost everything visually about it.

Here are some screenshots of the new project (there still is a lot of work to be done):

[attachment=10799]
Main Website Page (You can still see a few aspects of MyBB in it)

[attachment=10800]
Business Listings Page (Basically the old index.php list of forums)

[attachment=10801]
Coupons and Deals Listings Page for a specific business (The old forumdisplay.php pages)

[attachment=10802]
A view coupons page (Of course, the old showthread.php page)

[attachment=10803]
The My Account section for local business advertisers (a heavily modified version of the UserCP)

These are just a few of the examples of how MyBB can be used in almost any kind of database-driven website, whether or not it is used as a forum!

Please let me know what everyone thinks about the preliminary design, as well as your thoughts. I would also love to hear about how other people have used MyBB for separate purposes.
Wow, that's simply amazing. I might try this with my old Sims site which I have been trying to start again.

You have inspired me, and I thank you for that ;]
That looks nice!
Nice work
This rules. Good to see a truly fresh project!
Umm I'm speechless. That's just amazing. I can't imagine how much work it is though.
(2008-08-25, 08:02 PM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]Umm I'm speechless. That's just amazing. I can't imagine how much work it is though.

It is a lot of work, but most of it is relatively simple. Once I drew out a plan of what I needed to accomplish, I just took each step and completed them one by one. Although there were a handful of coding changes, the majority of the alterations were completed with MyBB's powerful templating system.
Wow, that's cool! Smile

Best of luck.

BMR777
Now this got me thinking of something!
(2008-08-25, 03:52 PM)MyBB Workshop* Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, that's simply amazing. I might try this with my old Sims site which I have been trying to start again.

You have inspired me, and I thank you for that ;]
I'm glad I have inspired you! Wink

Good luck with your Sims site, and I'd love to see the finished project!

(2008-08-25, 04:32 PM)tgo42596 Wrote: [ -> ]That looks nice!

(2008-08-25, 04:35 PM)destroyer Wrote: [ -> ]Nice work

(2008-08-25, 05:42 PM)Tamer Brad Wrote: [ -> ]This rules. Good to see a truly fresh project!

(2008-08-25, 08:34 PM)BMR777 Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, that's cool! Smile

Best of luck.

BMR777

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.

(2008-08-25, 10:03 PM)tgo42596 Wrote: [ -> ]Now this got me thinking of something!

I hope it spurs a lot of thought about all of the different possibilities! Smile

Added: I really appreciate everyone's positive feedback! I would love to hear some comments about the design, colours and layouts of the website. Constructive criticism is very welcome, and will help me a lot!

Thanks again, this is a big help to be.
Pages: 1 2