MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: board disfunctional from 1.2.8, 1.2.14 -> 1.4.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am in dire straits.
I had a nice bb system running 1.2.8 and finally decided to upgrade. I backed up my mysql database and ftp'd the attachment files, and some of the forums avatars.
I had zero plugins, although I had modified the default theme by placing my own logo atop each page.

I believed I had followed the upgrade instructions to the letter, but apparently not. I ran into trouble, when I accessed my /install/upgrade.php it complained about not having the required config.php.

I used he backup mysql file to rebuild the database using generic 1.2.14 php files. After several attempts I was able to get it to 1.4.1 but the following problems exist:

I cannot log out. (I have run into this before with some trailing session id tag in the theme).
Every time I access the admin account, for a different page, it asks me for my username/password, as if its not storing cookies or session info.
None of the typical searches like "show me the latest threads, or show the threads from today", work.

I need some help in the following: Given that I have an mysql backup file and the attachments from 1.2.8, what is the best way to get moving with 1.4.1?

My little forum community would be devastated to learn that its threads had been rebuilt or deleted. starting fresh is simply not an option.

Your help and assistance would be kindly appreciated.
(2008-08-26, 08:33 AM)Kawaihae Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I am in dire straits.
I had a nice bb system running 1.2.8 and finally decided to upgrade. I backed up my mysql database and ftp'd the attachment files, and some of the forums avatars.
I had zero plugins, although I had modified the default theme by placing my own logo atop each page.

I believed I had followed the upgrade instructions to the letter, but apparently not. I ran into trouble, when I accessed my /install/upgrade.php it complained about not having the required config.php.

Well, I think you shouldn't have asked for help before you messed things up. Anyway, did it say that the config.php file in the inc/ was not found or DOES NOT have appropriate permissions? The Mybb 1.4 update wizard should ask you to CHMOD the config.php file to 777 so the wizard can write to it, so if that was your error, you got it fixed. If not, then you'd better wait for a more experienced user for help.
(2008-08-26, 10:27 AM)youssef93 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I think you shouldn't have asked for help before you messed things up. Anyway, did it say that the config.php file in the inc/ was not found or DOES NOT have appropriate permissions? The Mybb 1.4 update wizard should ask you to CHMOD the config.php file to 777 so the wizard can write to it, so if that was your error, you got it fixed. If not, then you'd better wait for a more experienced user for help.

It complained that the config.php file was missing. It was missing because when I uploaded the 1.4.1 files, the old config.php file was overwritten.

Again my question is, given that I have the database backup mysql file, how do I get a functional forums again?