MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: mybb vb ripoff ? lol
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ha! And the thread's locked by the mods, or maybe even the admins! Proof that myBB's not a vB rip-off!
They might say it's a rip off due to many people trying to recreate the look of vb. Since right now, I'm looking at the index of vb and mybb and the only thing similar is the on/off/offlock icons being together like that. And I do believe that doesn't warrant them the authorithy to call mybb a ripoff from vb *sigh*
Every BB software is similar. So, which is really a ripoff of the other? myBB may have implemented features similar to that of vB, but which BB software isn't doing that? Which functions did vB "borrow" from other BB softwares? It's bull.

myBB is a very promising piece of free software, probably one of the most promising. Look for other free softwares to try to copy myBB. I believe it will continue to grow in popularity and use as long as the developers wish to keep working on it. They've already started running with myBB 1.0 PR2 after a brief stumble out the gate.
There isn't a completley original BBS on the net, not matter what programming language it is in, they all have more or less the same features plus a few custom ones, e.g., Gamespot.

Once you strip away all the images though, it's the same basic layout.
It's just like IPB and vBulletin saying one took features from the other. They say MyBB is a rip of vBulletin because some of the file names are the same. The file names really come from DevBB, the sister of MyBB. I've seen every reason why they think MyBB is a rip of vBulletin. I run both softwares and I can tell you both are different.

It's really hard to make a forum not look like some other forum software. To me looks really doesn't matter, it's how well the forum works.

Up untill a while ago Ikonboard looked like IPB, if you know the history of the two you'll know why.

One reason so many BBS look the same is because developers leave one project to join a different one. A good example of this was Chris, he worked for XMB for a while then left and started DevBB. Anyone who has seen both forums will tell you they look the same, but code and features aren't the same. So looks really aren't everything, it's how well it works, that's what matters.
marcgo15 Wrote:Up untill a while ago Ikonboard looked like IPB, if you know the history of the two you'll know why.

Did Ikonboard look like IPB recently? Or was this awhile back? Since Matt didn't leave Ikonboard recently eh...
Ikonboard is CGi though, and their website isn't working anymore.