MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Elo rating system plugin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Currently there are no points systems that work as ranking systems. Many competitive games around the world function on the Elo system and I think many gaming websites could benefit from this addition.

While it would be possible to use a regular points system and apply Elo ratings manually, I'm sure there can be a simpler way to do this.

If you want to better understand what the Elo rating system is, please see this Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

I've attached a PHP class for the Elo rating system. If this can be developed as an attachment for an existing plugin or as a standalone plugin, I would be very grateful. Thanks!
Not to bug, but I would like to at least know the viability of this project.
I posted this on the MyPS forum, therefore it makes references to MyPS. However, as I do need the plugin very badly I'll take it from just about anyone that can supply it.

It does not seem I have attracted much consideration with my opening post ... I thought it best to talk a little more about what I want. Maybe if I am more specific about what I am looking for, I can garner more interest.

What I am looking to do is alter MyPS from a "money" system into a "ranking" system. No points will be awarded for posting, PM, etc. Nothing "costs" points. They will only be rank.

How it would work is that a player who beat another player in a match could click a link in the opposing player's profile reporting the victory. The losing player would recieve a message saying something to the effect of "{username} declared victory against you. Confirm loss?" Once the loss was confirmed, the player rankings would be adjusted accordingly. Let's do an example.

Labrocca has a ranking of 1640.
Lex has a ranking of 1600.

Lex defeated Labrocca in a match. He goes to Labrocca's profile on MyBB and clicks a button that reads "Declare Victory".

Labrocca recieves a message reading, "Lex has declared victory against you. Confirm?" Labrocca would select the Confirm link. A pop-up window would appear reading:

Lex defeated Labrocca.

Lex +18 (1618)
Labrocca -18 (1622)

In a Battle History link in Lex's profile, anyone could check Labrocca's battle history. For example, this would appear on a line:

August 31, 2008: Lex defeated Labrocca. +18 (1618)

There would also be a "Rankings" page, which would just essentially be a list of all the members sorted by and displaying their points.

Now, let's talk about what would be on the administrative side of things.

Obviously, I would like to be able to manually apply battles. For example, a field where I could enter:

Winner: Labrocca
Loser: Lex
[SUBMIT]

(Labrocca gets his revenge!)

And it would automatically update the players.

I would also like to be able to undo matches and to be able to freeze individual player's points or dock them points, and otherwise manually edit them in ways that are pretty standard.

I am getting fairly desperate for this plugin so I am considering paying for development of it if nothing else can be arranged.
Not only would this plugin be great for me, it would be great for any site where the members play against each other in any competitive game.
Bump. Quite useful
(2016-02-16, 12:49 PM)Eldenroot Wrote: [ -> ]Bump. Quite useful

Seems like an interesting idea that would be pretty straightforward to create. I'm wondering what exactly this would be used for though. You've bumped it after 8 years so you must want this for some reason right? One of the details I'm kind of confused about would be why you would PM a "Confirm your loss" message to the loser. In the context of a game, wouldn't there be some way of definitively knowing who the winner and loser was?
^ related plugin thread : Match Rank (clan match reporting and ranking system) [Dt: 4th Dec 2008]
Something like chess forum with ELO rating and ladder for players.

@.m. - thank you, unfortunately it is not working with MyBB 1.8 - so I have to wait for someone who has better knowledge than me to get it work
^ We're working on a 1.8 upgrade of this system now, but it's custom to us so I'm not sure how much you could do with it. I'll see if it would be possible to share it in some form.
I can imagine everything you mentioned as a Newpoints plugin, then you disable automatic points and make the renaming in the front end, etc.
I am still looking for this
It's currently being rebuilt as an API. I'll let you know more about it when it's done.